Old 06-10-2005, 12:32 AM   #21
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by LilT23
I know some of the posts say to choose a corner and start picking up stitches, but I don't know HOW to start that, considering my working yarn is on my left needle. I'm at the point where I just finished knitting the 34th row...I have 34 stitches on my left needle and 0 stitches on my right needle...where do I go from here? I'm assuming I'm not supposed to break the yarn here and start picking up stitches on one of the other corners...
Yes, when you finish the 34th row you would think that your working yarn would then be on your left needle BUT you will start picking up stitches BEFORE you turn your needle after completing your 34th row....therefore all the stitches you just completed will be on your right needle with the working yarn right there too and the work you just completed hanging down (obviously). You will start picking up stitches down the left side of your work as it is facing you as I described above. So you will use the tip of your right needle to pick up stitches down that side, your working yarn right there to get you started, then when you get to the bottom of that row you just keep going around the bottom of your piece, then up the other side. You will then be ready to join and start knitting in the round.

When I made my booga, I didn't do the twist stitches. I didn't know what that meant so I skipped it. My bag came out great!

I hope this has been helpful, let us know how it goes.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-10-2005, 08:21 AM   #22
LilT23
Ribbing the Cuff

I get it now!!

Now I can stop and forge on..... :XX: I just feel kinda stupid because it was so simple...my problem was that I was automatically turning the work over after the 34th row.

Thanks so much for your help, everyone! Hildegard_von_Knittin...I would've replied to you with my IM info last night, but I had to get to bed...thanks for all your effort with the digicam, though!

Hopefully, I can make good time with the rest of this bag, and I'll post a pic if I don't screw it up.....
LilT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #23
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

yay knit queen! Thank goodness YOU could put it into words.

LilT, we can't wait to see the finished project!
Old 06-10-2005, 04:16 PM   #24
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
I asked an experienced knitter about this knitting a twisted row on this booga pattern...her answer was since it occurs when you are transitioning from the bottom of the bag to the sides, it was to make it tighter around the bottom since so there are no holes and it is stronger there.

You can skip it all together...the felting should shrink any holes anyway, or just do this (there may be an easier way, like knitting into the back or something, but this works) just pick up the stitch you are about to knit with the right needle and go into the back of it then use the left needle again to help you twist the stitch and put it back on the left needle, then knit as normal and do with each stitch you are supposed to twist thereafter. Like if you picked off the stitch with your finger and literally twisted it so that the stitch tightens. Hope this makes some kind of sense.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:20 PM   #25
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I've made a bunch of boogas and I never knit the stitches twisted; never had any problems. I dont' believe in doing something unless I know the reason why (sometimes that endup biting me in the you-know-what later), so since I didn't know the reason i never did it.... Noe that Kemp told us what the reason is for knitting twisted stitches I still won't do it, b/c nothing happens when you don't. I love knitting... it's like you can just make it up as you go along!!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 06:23 PM   #26
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
I agree Hilde! I did a modified version and did not do the twisted. No problemo
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #27
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Hildie?
Well, drat. I'm getting ready to start my first Booga (which always makes me think of booger :rofling: ), so I'm reading all the existing threads I can find on Booga's (snort, snort) before I get started. I got really excited when reading this one, thinking Hildie was getting ready to post pictures, only to be let down....sigh. :rollseyes:

Seriously enough, I think I understand what to do, based on all that's been written, and will quit procrastinating at the computer and get started, but I do have one question first.

Hildie, I read that you double your yarn when doing the bottom, for extra support. I think I'd like to do that as well. Please bear my inexperience in mind when I asked what will probably sound like a dumb question, but is there any adjustments I need to make in the number of stitches or needle size or anything if I use two strands, or merely drop the second strand and continue on, when I get to the point that I no longer need it thicker?
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #28
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
That is exactly what you do....
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:44 PM   #29
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Thanks Hildie...uh, I mean Kelly! By the way, I love your new picture. :D
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #30
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
You are most welcome, and, THANKS!

(Hildie and I are pretty much interchangeable, you know! )
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote