Old 08-24-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

sweater size problem
Hello. I hope someone can give me some advice. I am a relatively new knitter,and I'm working on a cardigan for my eight-year-old daughter. I am getting near finishing the back, but I measured (a little too late, obviously), and it seems to be several sizes too wide. I DID check my guage before starting this project, so I don't know why it's so big. My question now is: As I'm approaching the armhole shaping, should I add a few more rows to the back first, so that it is a little longer (since it is so wide), and if so, how should I go about doing the armhole shaping and the rest of the sweater? I don't mind it being big (better than too small), but I at least want it to be proportional. Please help!!
Happy Day!!
kayeknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Do you have a larger sweater pattern that you can get some proportions from? I know there's a percentage formula, but I'm not sure it applies to children's sweaters or just to adults'. I would look at a larger size pattern and work off of that. But that's just me. I'm sure someone out there has a more brilliant plan!

BTW Welcome!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

sweater size problem
Thanks for the reply, Ingrid. I have decided to start the sweater all over, using smaller needles. :( :( I hate that I worked for about one month, for nothing, but "c'est la vie"...or something like that. I hope it works out this time. (Wish me luck!)
kayeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

For future reference... www.yarnstandards.com has a wealth of info, including standard measurements for all sorts of garments. The charts are great for checking proportions.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
It's not new advice, but I find that I have learned from each and every piece that I had to abandon or frog, and that I use it 'next time'.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote