Old 09-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Pattern question
I have only been knitting since June and have the stitches down and have made scarves and hats, but want to venture out to something else. I would like to make a simple sweater, but I don't understand the patterns. Say I've CO 60 stitches and work in the required stitches until I get to shape armhole, I don't understand the bind off after that. See pattern instructions below.

[Shape Armhole: (RS) BO 4 (5, 6, 6) sts at beg of next 2 rows, then dec 1 st each side EOR 2 (3, 4, 5) times - 62 (66, 70, 76) sts rem. Work even until armhole meas 7 1/2 (8, 8 1/2, 9)"from beg of shaping, end WSR; pm each side of center 22 (24, 26, 28) sts. ]

With 60 stitches, it only says BO 4, so do I work the rest of the row in the same stitch I started out with? I don't understand what to do aft BO. Then the dec 1 st each side throws me too. I think I need a beginner beginner's pattern :(
Jackie M. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

BO 4 st at the beginning of the row, then work the other st as you have been. Do this at the beginning of the next row, too... you should have 62 st left on your needle. ( the math doesn't seem right on that...).
After you bind off (which is going to form the base of your armhole, the wide part right under your arm) continue to decrease 1 st (which will give you the curve of the armhole).
Does that help any??

*err edited for spelling

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
punkhippiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
punkhippiemom
Instepping Out

BTW, I've found that blindly following the pattern, even if you don't understand it, will help you understand how to read patterns... I know that's not much comfort, but usually as you go along, you start to see not so much what they're telling you to do, as why you're supposed to do it, and it starts to make sense.

As my favorite guru says, "Trust the pattern!!"

My Patterns - so far
Last Minute Scarf,Sideways Rib Reversible Scarf, Trinity's Top, Hunter's Itty Bitty Baby Socks
punkhippiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Hi,

What size are you doing? The directions for all the sizes are written here.
If you originally cast on 60 stitches was there any increasing at the end of the ribbing? From the pattern you wrote it looks like you increased 14 stitches (up to 74) if you're doing the smallest size.

Then if you decrease 4 at the beginning of the next two rows you should have 66 left. After that you decrease one stitch at the beginning and end of EVERY OTHER ROW (EOR) - the decrease is done on the right side usually - two times. This will decrease a total of 4 stitches and you'll be down to 62.

All the other stitches are knit in whatever pattern you have been using.

Hope this helps. If there's a problem with the math email back and I'll give it another try.

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Oh dear, my fault. I posted the wrong number of cast on stitches, so no wonder it didn't make sense to you. Anyway, I get the idea now to BO, continue in whatever stitch I was doing, and try to go from there. Thank you both so much. I agree that just trying the pattern will help me learn as I go, and as to why I'm doing it. I might start with some very cheap yarn though. I would really hate to ruin my good yarn. Okay, now to find the yarn. ...I'm so nervous about this. Maybe I need another hat.
Jackie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
Another thing to realize that even experienced knitters get confused when they read a pattern ahead of time (myself, here). I just wait until I get to that point and it all becomes a lot clearer.

If you've never done it before, it's much worse because you don't know what to picture in your head. Just do what you're told and then see what it turns out to be.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote