Old 09-14-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
KnittinKitten
1st Leg of the Journey

Long Tail Cast-On
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to this site and I have to start by saying how much I appreciate all of the help and especially the videos. I was so pleased by this free service that I made my husband watch some of the videos because I was just so impressed. Thank you for all of this help.

Now, on to my rookie-esque question: Is there a clever way to determine how much yarn to initially use when you are doing a long-tail cast-on? I either use too much yarn and have this REALLY long amount of unused yarn or (even worse), I don't pull off enough yarn and have to pull out all of the cast-on and start over. I HATE taking anything out! I'm sure all of this is different depending upon the weight of the yarn and needle size, but I just wondered if there was some rule of thumb about this.

Thanks!

P.S. Here's a REAL rookie question - how do I use those cute little emoticons on this site?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-14-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
MaryS
Turning the Heel

Hi KnittinKitten,

1st ?: You can either estimate about 1" per stitch in a worsted weight yarn.

OR cast on ten stitches, take them off the needles to see how much yarn you've used, then figure how much you need for the number you have to cast on. I prefer the second option if I'm casting on anything over thirty stitches.

2nd ?: When you're typing get to the place you want the emoticon like here maybe then click on the icon you want (knitting away) :XX: and it will end up in your message, but it won't look the way you think it should :rollseyes: until you preview your message. Then

GO YOU

Welcome to the KH funhouse :D and
Happy Knitting (and emoting) :XX: :XX:

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
I started out by measure 3 times the width of the project to determine how much yarn to use for LT Cast. But that did NOT always work. Lately I've just been wrapping the yarn around the needle for however many stitches I need to cast and then pull the needle out. So if I need to cast 50, I'll wrap the yarn around the needle 50 times and mark the spot, pull the needle out, and start LT Cast from the marked spot.

I like MaryS' 10st Cast measurement too!! Less time consuming than wrapping ... but I also ... hehehe ... don't like math So that's why I stick with the wrapping.

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
KnittinKitten
1st Leg of the Journey

Long Tail Cast-On
Thanks, Mary. I knew there had to be "trick" to this. And, thanks for the help with the emoticons. I inserted them the first time and couldn't figure out why I couldn't "see" them. I just hadn't done my preview yet.

I adore this emoticon :XX: and want to use it on EVERYTHING. Do you think my bosses and clients here at the law firm would appreciate it?

Thanks, again, for the help.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: Long Tail Cast-On
Originally Posted by KnittinKitten
[...] Do you think my bosses and clients here at the law firm would appreciate it?
hmmm :thinking: It all depends....

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
If you have a lot of stitches to cast on and you really don't want to run short or waste yarn, use two balls, one for each strand. When you're done, cut one to be the tail and the other will be your working yarn.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
KnittinKitten
1st Leg of the Journey

Long Tail Cast-On
Ingrid - This is such a wonderfully LOGICAL solution ... I never would have thought of it. Thanks!
:XX: