Old 09-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
wilco_fan
Casting On

Basic question: when to increase/decrease?
I'm a beginning knitter and am working on learning increase/decrease techniques. This is a very basic question - when do you add or remove stich? At the beginning, end, or middle of a row (when it's not circular)?

I assumed that it would be at the end or beginning of the row so you don't get a funny stitch in the middle, but I watched the video on this site and the instructor added a stitch in the middle of the row.

Many thanks for your advice! :D
wilco_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-25-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
It totally depends on the pattern. When you're shaping for armholes, for example, you'd decrease at each end. Some patterns call for decreasing evenly across the row. Sometimes the decrease is supposed to show as a decorative thing.

When you're increasing for sleeves, you increase at each end, but when you are going from ribbing to the main part of the sleeves, you increase evenly across the row.

Then there's lace--a conglomerate of different kinds of increases and corresponding decreases.

So my advice would be to learn them and put them wherever the pattern tells you to.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
wilco_fan
Casting On

I see! Many thanks for the advice!
wilco_fan is offline   Reply With Quote