Old 09-26-2005, 05:56 PM   #31
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Baby Blue
I don't know if I posted this before (and if I did, please excuse the brain fart), but you can get a nifty portable little sewing machine that is pretty heavy duty at Sears for $99, often on sale for &79. Many ladies on one of the quilt lists I belong to, including myself have bought these little machines....they do great and they fit into a 24 pack cooler!!! We called it Baby Blue because of the light blue color, I think it also comes in pistachio green. Well worth the money IMO!
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #32
koolbreeze
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to koolbreeze
i saw a little sewing machine at Hobby Lobby. it was about 6 or 7 inches tall and about 4 to 5 inches wide!! it was so cute!

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
Stupidity is not a handicap. Park elsewhere!
They call it PMS because MadCow Disease was already taken.
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #33
KnittinKitten
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas for a small, portable, inexpensive sewing machine. I checked with our local used sewing machine/vacuum store (why are these two items always sold and repaired together!?!?) and they have used ones starting at $100. I think I'd rather have a new one from Sears or Target for about the same price. Guess I know where I'll be this weekend - IF I can wait that long!

Old 09-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #34
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
Don't think that a sewing machine will be automatically better because it's new. The ones made in the sixties and seventies are metal and sturdy. You can still get parts for Singer models that are over 50 years old. My machine is a 1961 Singer (older than I am) and it runs like a dream.

I'm not telling you to avoid new ones, just be sure of the quality of any machine you get. DD bought a new White brand machine two years ago, and I really like hers, too. She has a really cool function for doing hems. We do lots of apparel sewing, so we appreciate the bells and whistles. Someday, I will have a serger.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote