Old 10-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Luv2shopannie
Ribbing the Cuff

cast on and bind of matching.
Hi. Could someone tell me if there is a specific bind off method that they perfer which could match with the long tale cast on.

I'm doing a cable scarf for my husband and since there's no frindge, I'd like the two ends to look somewhat similar.

Thanks!!
Luv2shopannie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Since I'm not up on which bind off matches which cast off, I can tell you an idea that I'm using on a scarf.

Use a provisional cast on at the beginning. Then you can pick up those live stitches later on and bind them off. Both ends will match.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
Silver
Instepping Out

That's the only way I know to do it. Cast on and bind off are always different because they are worked in opposite directions from the ends.

Do what Ingrid suggests. It's easy, and guaranteed to give you identical results.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #4
Luv2shopannie
Ribbing the Cuff

provisional cast on
Thanks Ingrid. (I always secretly hope that you view and post on my topics!!!)

My questions now is: I have already started my cable scarf. I'm about to finish today. Is there a way for me to go back and change that cast on or not??

Thanks.

I'll be sure to use that way from now on. Also, on Amy's video, she mentions that every other stitch will be twisted. What does she mean?? She says to stitch into the back of the twisted stitch.??

I'm not seeing that in my mind.
Luv2shopannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I certainly wouldn't risk taking out the end so I could cast off. I suppose it could be done, but it's not easy to take out a cast-on. You can't just pick it out and pick up the stitches the way you could a cast-off. It would require picking up a row of stitches before you took off the cast-on, cutting off the cast on and then knitting the other way. There might be a better way, but I don't know what it is. I say save it for next time. The ends don't have to be exact. It's a hand made scarf, let it revel in it's lack of machine-made perfection.

As for the twisted stitches, I haven't watched the video so I don't know what twisted stitches you're referring to. To knit into the back, however, you just knit into the back loop.

When a 'regular' stitch is on the needle, the front 'leg' is a little bit forward of the back 'leg'. When it's twisted it's as if you took the stitch and reversed it. It feels a little tighter to knit into. If you don't want to knit into the back, you can take it off and put it back on your left needle the other way and then knit it.

I had to laugh when you said you hoped I read your post! Please don't raise me to cult status--I just avoid my responsibilities by hanging around here a lot--I certainly don't know it all!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote