Old 10-06-2005, 11:13 PM   #1
AKchick
1st Leg of the Journey

Confused on finishing a sweater
I am working on an adult sweater that I have done the front and back pieces and both sleeves. I am on the next set of directions that is for the collar and the first thing it says is to "sew front raglan seams. Sew left back raglan seam." I think I must be missing something though. What exactly am I sewing? Am I sewing only the top triangle-type part that is shaping the neck? The raglan seams are where the sleeves should go but I have never done raglan before so I don't know if there is a special way of doing it.

Okay, you probably need a lot more info on this pattern than what I just gave. I can type whatever out I need to, or you can find it at www.bernat.com under women's knit free patterns. It is the bernat denimstyle Knit turtleneck sweater. You have to become a member to actually see the pattern but it is free to do so. I am at the part of the pattern towards the very end titled COLLAR.

Thanks anyone for your help and for this forum! My family and I move around a lot (military life) so I don't have a group, or even one friend right now, that I can go to for knitting help. Thanks again!
AKchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-07-2005, 04:51 AM   #2
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Yep, the raglan "seams" are the triangle-looking thingies! I didn't look at the pattern (i am a member of too many places already! I don't need more temptation!), BUT, here are your options:
If the stitches are live (on holders) you can attach the top ofthe sleeve to the shoulder with a 3 needle bind off. This is not an invisible seam, but that might not matter since the raglan shaping will be obvious anyway (that's the point!). It might feel funny though... like a lump along the seam.
If the stitches are live (on holders) you could graft them together. This is also called kitchener stitch, and it sounds tricky, but it's actually easy once you get the pattern down. This makes an invisible/non-lumpy seam.
If the edges are finished, you can use mattress stitch, which creates an invisible, non-lumpy seam too.
Either of these techniques might require a bit of fudging, if you don't have the same number of stitches for the shoulder as the top of the sleeve.

Amy has videos for all three of these techniques, on the More Basic Techniques page , about halfway down under "Seaming"

I think that some knitters differ on this, but my advice would be to sew the side seams first (using mattress stitch, since it's invisible), and then put in the sleeves. The pattern might say something different (and Ingrid, who is super-knitter, might have different, better, or different and better advice :-) ).

I haven't actually done this: the one raglan sweater I've done is a cardigan which was knit top-down, and the raglan shaping/seaming was done in one step. BUT, this is easy, and I know you can do it! Good luck :-)
Old 10-07-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Lay out your work flat, right side up, neck to neck, with the sleeves coming out the sides. You are going to sew the diagonal lines connecting the sleeves to the front and back--both sides of the left sleeve and only the front of the right sleeve. This will allow you to put your work on the needles to work the collar back and forth.

Hildie's right--use mattress stitch for these seams--it is amazing how nicely it works for raglan.

I couldn't get in to see the pattern on my computer here at work, but this is the way that raglans generally go together. The top stitches of the front, back and sleeves get connected as you make the collar. There aren't any shoulder seams to speak of.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
AKchick
1st Leg of the Journey

Excellent, thank you so much! I really appreciate help from both of you! Hopefully tonight I will get some quiet time after the kiddies go to bed to set the sweater out and tackle it.

Thanks again!
AKchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #5
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

don't forget to post a picture!