Old 10-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #21
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

Books..
Hi Susie, and everyone!! I love the way you put age 49 in your signature!! Honey--I'm almost 56, and 49 sure does seem young to me right now!! Anyway, I love books as much as I do knitting, and I have had a book called The Readers Digest Big Book of Needlework for many years. It has all the needle arts in it, and a very good knitting section in it, too.

But, I love Overstock.com and Amazon.com, and after going to my local library to look at their knitting books, I decided to order : The Knitters Handy Book of Patterns by Ann Budd, The Encyclopedia of Knitting, by(?), Christmas Stockings by-Interweave Press, Knitting in Plain English by Righetti, The Big Book of Knitting, by(?), Knitting Tips and Trade Secrets, and last but not least, Knitting without Tears, by Zimmerman (I think!!) . I didn't order them all at one time, but when shipping was free or I had a gift certificate, I ordered them.

Yes...I do love me some knitting books! But I do love the Knitters Handy Book of Patterns because it gives you sort of formulas for socks,sweaters,vests, mittens for any guage and any yarn, so that you can be really versatile and use what you might have. Not everyone has every size needle, especially starting out, so it really appeals to me that way too. It is a hard backed and is spiral bound and has a handy pocket in the back in which to store something and an elstic band to hold your page in place!! But I love just hauling them all out on a rainy day or an evening when dh is watching a ballgame and reading them, which is probably why I never seem to get as much knitting done as I think I should!! :XX:

KnitPicks also has some knitting books on sale I think...wannna race??

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-13-2005, 03:33 AM   #22
susies1955
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susies1955
Hi Ellen,
LOL, I don't put my age there because I think it is OLD, I put it there because I'm "proud" of it. I will be "50" on Wednesday and looking forward to it.
Ive heard people mention Knitting Without Tears and The Knitters Handy Book of Patterns several times. I have them on my wish list along with Vogue Knitting and maybe Knitter's Handbook but not sure I need that one along with the other goodies I already have. I'm a book freak.
Like I said before I have over 19 books on bread and the same with quilting, Atkins, Machine Embroidery and Christian books as I was into that heavy at one time.
Thanks for writing in and letting me know what you like,
Susie
I started hand knitting (10/01/2005) and got my embroidery machine for Christmas 2005. I had 2 Bond Incredible Sweater Machines given to me in Feb. of 2007 that I'm really enjoying. http://susies1955.myphotoalbum.com/
http://susieshobbyspot.blogspot.com/
susies1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:42 AM   #23
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

No problem--just gave me another excuse to look through what I had and think about 'em again!! I'll be 56 on Nov.3--so we both have fall birthdays, huh!!

Happy Birthday early, then!!!

Knit (and read!!) on!

Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 AM   #24
susies1955
Turning the Heel

Jean,
Ah, so I did "YOU" a favor eh?????? So what book you going to get back out and read or are you into reading something now?????? LOL.
Well now...........Happy 56th Birthday to you.
Susie
I started hand knitting (10/01/2005) and got my embroidery machine for Christmas 2005. I had 2 Bond Incredible Sweater Machines given to me in Feb. of 2007 that I'm really enjoying. http://susies1955.myphotoalbum.com/
Old 10-13-2005, 07:29 PM   #25
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

Lol--thanks!! Yep--I love a chance to look through those books, and think about what I'll put on the needes next....or maybe just READ and NOT knit!!

Oh well, it's all good!! :XX:

Thanks for the birthday hello---it'll be just like another day as far as I'm concerned...the 60th will be a big one tho, won't it?? (If we make it there!)

Happy knitting! :XX:

Trudy

Old 10-13-2005, 08:18 PM   #26
AidanM
Turning the Heel

I think that Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman is possibly the best knitting book I've read yet. Not only are the basics explained with handy diagrams, there are lots of little tricks you pick up as you read along. Not too long ago, somebody was wondering what to do about some stitches that were too loose and I said that EZ suggests knitting into the back to tighten them up. It's really helped me in my understanding of knit garments and knitting overall!

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:25 PM   #27
jodstr2
Instepping Out

Re: Books..
Originally Posted by Ellen Edwards
Knitting in Plain English by Righetti
that is my other favorite how-to. her writing is also very funny - she can be a little caustic and opinionated, but I love it.

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:44 PM   #28
susies1955
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by AidanM
I think that Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman is possibly the best knitting book I've read yet.
Aidan,
Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard several mention this book.

Susie