Old 11-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
Totalele
1st Leg of the Journey

Is it possible to hand-felt?
Is it? I mean, by hand, not machine? My machine just about dies and until I get a new one I gotta felt the piece I just finished...

Is there a way to do it by hand?

TYSMIA!!!

http://spaces.msn.com/alpimenta/
Totalele is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-06-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
It is possible to hand felt, but I couldn't find any directions for it. Do you have any laudromats with top loading machines near you?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Totalele
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm not sure... I think I'll go to my brother's house!!

Old 11-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #4
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

hand felting is easy!!! All you need is some hot water, some mild detergent, and a bumpy surface, if you can find one.... my sink has built in drain boards on the sides, but if you can find a glass washboard that would work too. OR anything that is water proof and bumpy but smooth (as opposed to rough).... like the wire racks for cooling cookies maybe???

Just saturate whatever you're fleting in the hot water, add a teeeeeeeeeny bit of soap, and start scrubbing!!!! You'll have to dunk it often, and I like to "shock" the yarn when i'm hand felting by dunking it in cold water every once in a while.

Hand felting takes a lot longer, obviously, and sometimes the results aren't as even, but you DO have greater control over the felting process.. like if your projct is shrinking too much in one directio--say width-wise-- you can rub it in the other direction--lengthwise-- to catch it up!. It is great for small projects... like you can take all of your wool swatches and hand felt them into coasters.

you can hand felt with just plain roving too, and this can make AWESOME kid projects... I've felted a lot with my niece and nephew. Their favorite project was these soap thingies... we took a bar of ivory, but it in half, and wrapped roving around each half in layers; then the kids washed their hands and rubbed it on the drain boards for about 20 minutes, and I added bits of roving to the outside in layers until they have this "soap in a scak" type thing. We've done 3 or 4 of them, and they LOVE it. Kind of looks tye-dyed. One tip...make sure that your hands are TOTALLY DRY before touching the roving to pull off pieces, or you'll end up ruining the whole thing.

good luck!
Old 11-06-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
AidanM
Turning the Heel

There is a felting tool, like these http://www.marrhaven.com/winghamtool.html#Needles, where you repeatedly push it and pull it out of the work which causes the fabric to felt. No water or mess involved, though I've heard that it is labour intensive!

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
Totalele
1st Leg of the Journey

You guys know everything!!

I absolutely *loved* the idea of making felted costers!!! I could totally make those as an extra for Christmas!!

You guys are the best!

Old 11-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #7
bubba
1st Leg of the Journey

DIY just had a segment on the Crafters Around the Country (or whatever it's called) and there was a girl on there that made felted hats which she felted by hand. It was pretty interesting. You might try checking their website for directions.

pat.

Don't mess with dragons....they think you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote