Old 11-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
Minnie
Casting On

Moss stitch question - help!
Hi, I'm working on my first 'proper' knitting project (baby bootees) and have reached the SHAPE FOOT bit. I've come unstuck at the following pattern instruction: moss-st 3tog. Can anyone tell me how you do this please??! Thanks! Amanda
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-15-2005, 04:50 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Is it a pattern that you can post? Usually patterns tell you how special stitches are made. Do they give any indication?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
Minnie
Casting On

Moss Stitch Query - help!
:thinking: Hi Ingrid, I can't really post the pattern. However, I have been working Moss-st per the pattern instructions at the start (ie. 1st Row = *k1, p1, rep from* to last st, k1 and then Rep 1st Row etc.) I understand how to k3tog or p3tog, but if Moss stitch is a combination of k and p stitches, how is it possible to moss-st 3tog ?!! Do I k or p the 3 stitches? M
Old 11-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
*maybe* an answer?
i will be facing this very same dilemma in another 12 rows or so. i unfortunately don't know the answer for certain, but i have a thought on it and maybe someone can confirm or deny it for us.

the important thing with moss stitch is to knit the purls and purl the knits (as they face you) so my thought is, let's say you decided to K the 3 together; on the opposite side, that is going to appear as 1 purl stitch, so as long as you knit that stitch on that row, i think the moss pattern would be maintained. so i would p, k3tog, p, making sure you p, k, p the following row. in my head, this seems right, but i haven't knit it yet.

hope we figure it out! i'm going to be stuck too!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:18 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I would just knit the three together and then continue with the moss pattern as it fits. So, for example if the three stitches you knit together would have been a kpk, then you would just continue with pkpkpk after that. Make sense?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Quote:
I would just knit the three together and then continue with the moss pattern as it fits. So, for example if the three stitches you knit together would have been a kpk, then you would just continue with pkpkpk after that. Make sense?
I would do this if the three stitches are kpk. If the three stitches are pkp, I would purl them together. Clear as mud?

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Minnie
Casting On

Moss Stitch Query Solved!
Quote:

I would do this if the three stitches are kpk. If the three stitches are pkp, I would purl them together. Clear as mud?

Thanks all - this seems to have worked out okay. I get a 2nd go with bootee No2 now! M