Old 11-17-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
sjr
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to sjr
purl into the wrong side! Help!
I am trying to make a ski hat with flaps (The Red Baron Flies Again). I am using dpn (hate 'em) and the directions say to cast on 4 stitches (ok so far, as long as it's ok to do the long string cast on)
Row 1 (WS) purl....
Row 2: k1,M1,K to last stitch, M1,K1 ( 2 stitch increase)
Repeat rows 1 and 2 7 times until there are 18 stitches.
......Here is my problem...How the heck do you purl (or do anything for that matter) on the wrong side. I have this little squggle of yarn, and I assume the wrong side means that the side with the stitches, instead of facing to the right, must face to the left. This leaves me with the empty needle in the wrong hand and I am totally lost. I assume this wrong side business must be important, right? And here I am at the very beginning of these directions and unable to continue .....HELP
sjr is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-17-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
tab
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to tab
When a pattern tells you (RS) or (WS) at the beginning, it's just letting you know what side of the object you start on. In this case, you're starting on the wrong side of the work - the side of the hat that's going to be on the inside. It has nothing to do with the orientation of the work on your needle.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:46 PM   #3
sjr
Ribbing the Cuff

So when I finish this ear flap, I need to remember that I have been working on the wrong side out so I attach it accordingly?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:47 PM   #4
sjr
Ribbing the Cuff

Also, now that I think of it, why do I need to use these miserable double pointed needles? What's the point ( so to speak)?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:50 PM   #5
tab
Knitting the Flap

You need to remember which side was the wrong side and attach it accordingly, since you switch sides every row. The pattern seems to want the knit side out, which is easy enough to figure out because you seem to be working in stockinette (knit one row, purl one row) and it's easy to figure out which side is which. The purl side, which is the inside, will be a bunch of little bumps. The knit side, which is the outside, will be a bunch of little Vs. Most patterns that call for stockinette want the knit side out.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:55 PM   #6
tab
Knitting the Flap

As for the needles, I don't see a reason to use them if you're working on the ear flap separately. You'll need them for working the top of the hat, though, since it's too small for circular needles.