Old 07-13-2005, 03:53 PM   #11
Julie
Instepping Out

I agree with Ingrid...just keep knitting. I'm really bad at follow-through :rollseyes: so when I started knitting I set little rules for myself -- the very first thing I did was to knit through an entire skein of cheap Red Heart yarn. I just cast on and kept knitting and knitting and knitting...some days minutes, other days hours...until it was gone. I ended up with a very long scarf that looks awful at the beginning and a heck of a lot better at the end. :D

A lot of places I checked said size 10 needles were good for beginners, so that's what I used. I'm glad I went that route because now, having used larger needles and finding them somewhat cumbersome, I think I would have gotten more frustrated using anything larger than 10 or 11. But, that said, I dont' think that size/weight is as important as simply being able to see your stitches!

Good luck! :D

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-18-2005, 05:01 PM   #12
Aimster17
Casting On

Beginner frustrations!
Hi all. I've been knitting for about a month and find it so frustrating! But i completed my first project yesterday- a scarf. Now i am working on another scarf. However I am so anxious to start incorporating new fancy stiches in my scarf but one of my friends told me i should stick with the simple garter stich. How long do you think i should wait until i get a little more ambitious? Also what is the next suggested project after scarves? Thanks!
Aimster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:13 PM   #13
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

If you feel ready to try new things, then go for it! My second type project following scarves was a hat, but dishcloths are a good sample project for experimenting with new stitches. Because they're small, they don't require much yarn; and because they don't take as long, you get more immediate satisfaction.
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #14
Sascha
Ribbing the Cuff

Aimster17~~ I have only been knitting for a month and a half but everytime I start getting really comfortable with something I move one to something else. So this has been my progression so far:

garter stitch
purl stich
ribbed scarf so I could practice both...added fringe on the scarf
made two more scarves..got comfortable
made a hat using dpn's (learned decreasing and using dpns)

Now i am working on a scarf with color changes on circulars
and next with be cables
Sascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:18 PM   #15
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
Do what you want to do. After an entire scarf of garter, I'll bet you've got that stitch figured out. Mittens and hats are good "step up" projects and they're small, so they are a quick reward.

Some people socks. Some people like to practice new stitches by making wash cloths.

There are endless choices out there. You can look at the free patterns tab at the top of the page or you can go to an online magazine like www.knitty.com to get new ideas.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:52 PM   #16
Sascha
Ribbing the Cuff

Aimster17~~ I have only been knitting for a month and a half but everytime I start getting really comfortable with something I move one to something else. So this has been my progression so far:

garter stitch
purl stich
ribbed scarf so I could practice both...added fringe on the scarf
made two more scarves..got comfortable
made a hat using dpn's (learned decreasing and using dpns)

Now i am working on a scarf with color changes on circulars
and next with be cables
Sascha is offline   Reply With Quote