Old 10-23-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
jillcet
Casting On

Gloves Pattern Help
I'm working on the J. Crew style gloves found on this site. I'm up to the part below and need help (It's my first time trying gloves). See [ ] and bold for my specific questions. I guess my main questions are how do you pick up 2 extra stitches? Thanks for the help!

Fingers: Divide 11 stitches for the 1st finger (6 from one side, 5 from the other) [divide these on 3 dps?] --put remaining stitches on waste yarn or stitch holder. Working around on dp needles, pick up and knit 1 st at beg of round (I usually twist that stitch to help avoid a hole), k11, pick up and knit 1 st at end of round--13 sts. Work in rounds till finger meas. 2 1/2". K2 tog on next 2 rounds [how often k2tog?] (since you're working on an uneven # of sts, you'll end up with 1 st, which you knit). Cut yarn, leaving a tail, and thread the tail through the remaining stitches, pulling them closed tightly. Fasten off. Pick up 13 sts from holder for middle finger (7 from 1 side and 6 from the other) [divide these on 3 dps?]. Pick up 2 extra stitches from between fingers as above, and work around on 15 sts for 3". K2 tog next 2 rounds [how often k2tog?], then fasten off as above. Pick up 11 sts and 2 extra stitches for the next finger, work around for 2 1/2", dec [how often?] & fasten off as above. Pick up 9 sts and 2 extra stitches for the little finger, work around for 2", dec [how often?] & fasten off as above.

Thumb: pick up 15 sts from your waste yarn or holder for the thumb [onto 3 dps?], and pick up 2 extra sts as above [how?]. Work around for 2". Dec. & fasten off as above.

With needle & yarn, sew up any holes between fingers, weave in ends. Make 2nd glove same as first.
jillcet is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
Marnie
1st Leg of the Journey

Re: Gloves Pattern Help
[divide these on 3 dps?]
This simply means you should take the total number of stitches and distribute them evenly over 3 dpns

pick up and knit 1 st at beg of round (I usually twist that stitch to help avoid a hole)
In essence, you simply need to increase. I would look through Amy's various increase techniques on this site and use the one that works best for you. The reference to twisting the stitch means you are to knit it through the back loop so that the stitch is twisted.

pick up and knit 1 st at end of round
Same as above. Just work an increase. I personally prefer a knit in front and back of the stitch when I do gloves, but that's my preference. Use what you like.

K2 tog on next 2 rounds [how often k2tog?]
K2tog all the way around the round. Just keep going until you hit the last stitch. Repeat for the following round.

I think all your other questions are repeats.

Hope that helps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #3
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Marnie, I have a question for you. (and this specifically deals with booga bags ) say you are picking up a stitch and you want it twisted, how do you go through the back first? When I have done a pick up, I go in through the front, out the back, wrap my stitch and pull it through. So if you go through the back, where do you do your loop - in the front or the back?

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
Marnie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by kitkat
Marnie, I have a question for you. (and this specifically deals with booga bags ) say you are picking up a stitch and you want it twisted, how do you go through the back first? When I have done a pick up, I go in through the front, out the back, wrap my stitch and pull it through. So if you go through the back, where do you do your loop - in the front or the back?
Well, I haven't ever knit the booga bag, but what you are asking about is knitting through the back loop.
Normally, when you knit, you basically insert your needle from left to right, so as to knit through the front loop.
When you knit through the back loop, your needle is inserted from right to left. To understand what this look like, look at the SSK decrease. This is knitting two stitches together through the back loop. The difference is, you will not be resituating the stitches and you'll only be working one at a time.

I hope I've answered your question. Good luck
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Got it! It worked fine can't wait to start felting Mr. Booga (except I have to go out and find 10 1/2 dpns first oh yeah and finish working the body!)

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote