Old 11-16-2005, 02:57 PM   #11
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

My favorite place to buy the most ethical fiber you can imagine, is Tregelly's Fiber farm, in western Massachusetts. They are a small farm, with a wide variety of unusual fiber animals, and they are just the warmest and kindest people you'll ever meet, and take excellent care of their animals. They have a small yarn and fiber shop off their house, and the farm is a great place to visit, it's a small-scale Zoo, with birds (including a peacock) and goats, and camels, yaks, chickens, sheep, and more than I can name. Their yarns are all dyed with natural, earth friendly dyes. I believe they offer a catalog and yarn samples of their yarns, to order by mail.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-16-2005, 06:41 PM   #12
TheRealPamela
Casting On

Good info for everyone.

I didn't view it as fighting. Although I will say that things written online sound a bit harsher if there is a disagreement because of lack of tone.
I thank everyone for expressing their views and allowing me to express mine, even if they are different. As someone who is vegan myself, I understand many people are wary to listen to that particular viewpoint just because it is a lifestyle they don't understand.

Regarding yarns- I have found some *beautiful* silky woolish looking yarns made out of arcylic just at the craft store...it was rather pricy though, $7 for a tiny skein...I still only have a cast-on so I can't invest in expensive yarn yet!
Is 100% cotton yarn commonly used in knitting? I have read that you can spin your own pet's hair and make stuff out of it. (But also that dog hair is very warm and wouldn't make a comfy sweater bc it gets too hot). It would be neat though!
TheRealPamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #13
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Yeah Pamela, I've got two bags of white dog-undercoat (softest stuff imaginable) in my basement, waiting to spin some day! You can totally spin it if it's long enough. :D

Don't worry about expressing yourself here, lots of vegetarians and probably vegans as well, among us. I'm a vegetarian myself, although not vegan. I was macrobiotic at one point, but I lost 20 lbs. in 3 months (not a good thing, on me!), so I stopped!

I'm particular about what I knit with, too. I'll buy wool without hesitation, but I don't like to buy silk, because the silk worms are killed in the process. Also, I avoid knitting with cotton because of the very very high pesticide use in cotton crops. Unless it's organic, but it's HARD to find organic cotton. In fact, that's the reason we don't currently have t-shirts for KH, because I'm holding out for CafePress to carry a feminine organic t-shirt style. They say they'll probably have one eventually, so I'm holding out!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:49 PM   #14
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
There are heaps of patterns that call for cotton yarn. You can use your best judgement to substitute yarn on any pattern, keeping in mind how it may drape or be too hot, etc. That just takes a little math to get the gauge correct.

There are also soy yarns, but they are pretty pricey. Some people buy recycled silk yarn off eBay.

And last but not least, you can go to your local thrift store and buy sweaters, pull them apart and reuse the yarn. There are some really good directions floating around here for doing that. I'm off to study for tomorrow's French test, but I'll try to find the link for sweater reclamation for you tomorrow.

Bon soir!
Old 11-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #15
InterNette
Turning the Heel

amazing, this was such an informative subject, i learned an incredible amount. Thanks for bringing light to topics, Amy very fascination along with Pamela. I also didnt see anything harsh or any inkling of fighting, but rather enlightening. I didnt realize the worms were killed and about cotton yarns. I love cotton yarns, never realizing. The recylced yarn sounds like a brilliant idea. I just wanted to say this was a a great thread to read and learn something new from and I really enjoyed everyones perspective and facts. I guess we dont as a whole realise or think about where our products we purchase come from or how we aquire them.
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:58 PM   #16
Julie
Instepping Out

Elann has Pakucho Organic Cotton at a really reasonable price! Not a lot of colors left, but it is fabulous to work with! :D