Old 10-21-2005, 03:42 PM   #11
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
Wouldn't this make a garter stitch pattern? If that's what you're going for that's fine, go for it.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-21-2005, 03:47 PM   #12
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
The idea is to knit in the round, making stockinette, but doing it back and forth--knit on the outside, purl on the inside, so you can do any kind of intarsia pattern in the round. The part that needs to be played with is how to keep the ends attached.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
OHHH I see. This is the other thought that I had in mind. That may work. Maybe crossing the stitches over the other at the end would keep the edges together. I think this was mentioned before.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #14
Ingrid
Mod Squad

That was my thought, too. I just don't know how it would look. I'm so into my sweater sleeve right now, I don't want to stop to experiment.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 10-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #15
clsimmons
Ribbing the Cuff

I've been reading all your comments. Take a look at this site's 'advanced techniques' and read the first paragraph under 'a couple of notes about knitting in the round.' She writes there is a method to do intarsia while knitting in the round. I was hoping she would jump in here and give us some notes.
Keep up the comments. Thanks Catherine
clsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:18 PM   #16
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I have done intarsia in the round, but it's only do-able in the main color is carried across the intarsia section, as far as I know.

Basically you knit around once--that works ok, but your yarn is in the wrong place for the next round. On the next round, you knit across with your mc and slip the cc stitches. Then you turn your work and purl across the cc stitches as you slip the mc stitches that you already knit. Then you slip the whole section back onto the right needle. On the next round, you stitches are on the correct end of the motif, so you can knit across.

What this discussion turned into was basically knitting intarsia back and forth, but somehow attaching the ends to avoid seaming.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 12-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #17
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Hi y'all, just saw this!

Actually, there are 4 different methods, that I know of, to do intarsia in the round! I have Silver to thank for learning these. She turned me onto a great article in Interweave Knits (Fall 2003), which you can buy a back-issue of from their website (here) if you want, that outlines all 4 methods, with pictures.

One, as Ingrid says, requires carrying the main color through the pattern. Another, as sogrammatical has figured out (WTG! ), works back and forth, as if the piece were flat really, but allows for the turning point to be joined to itself as you go, creating a circular piece. It does create a visible seam at this juncture, but this is probably the most popular method, as it's fairly straightforward and easy to remember.

This method typically uses an increase and a decrease at the seam point, to prevent a hole when you turn the work:
Quote:
At the beginning of the knit side row, begin with a yo (increase), and work (doing standard intarsia) until the end of the row. On the last stitch, do an SSK decrease with that stitch and the yo.
At the beginning of the purl row, do a yo increase, and at the end, do a p2tog decrease with the last stitch and the yo.
The other two methods are also very useful. My favorite one is totally seamless, and allows for solid color blocks. If I ever shoot a DVD of advanced techniques, that will be on it! In the mean time, I recommend buying the back issue of that magazine; it's a great issue, and also has one of my favorite hat and mitten patterns. Issue available here.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #18
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thank you Amy!

IngridKH on Ravelry