Old 12-30-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
Zaner
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Zaner Send a message via Yahoo to Zaner
Drum Strap??
this is my first post on this website but have floated around this forum for the past couple of weeks. um but i have a problem..... i just got a drum the other day. its sort of like a conga if u are familiar with drums or anything but its called a djembe and theres just a handle to carry it. but i would like to create a strap to carry it with but this drum is probably close to a good 10 pounds or more and slightly big. i was wondering instead of yarn can i use hemp for the strength factor and then just knit a strap like a scarf and then tie it to the drum at both ends? so basically is it possible to knit with hemp?? recommendations otherwise if cant use hemp please....also what kind of stitch pattern is recommended if using to carry something? if there really isnt a standard stitch pattern for weight what would you knitters recommend?? i guess i should say that i am familiar with knitting as well lol. i have knit a couple of hats and done a bunch of scarves. i know the basics ribbing, pearl, knit, bind off, and some other stuff. thanks again...

-Christian
Zaner is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

http://www.aurorasilk.com/shop/hemp_yarn.shtml

Here are some clothing-quality hemp yarns, but I have no experience personally with them.

Knitty has a guitar strap pattern, super simple looking too....

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTbanshee.html

I'm sure you could leave off the embellishments if that's not your style.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
Zaner
Casting On

lol i guess u can knit with hemp. thanks for the quick response greatly appreciated. funny that you showed a link to the guitar strap because thats exactly how i was going to make it lol just not so long of course. well thanks again i think i should be ok for now. has someone here on this site used hemp yarn?? wondering if it can support the weight of a drum or if this is just for clothing or decorative purposes...
Old 12-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
hemp is pretty strong...

I would suggest maybe knitting every other stitch and slipping every other stitch and vice versa on subsequent rows to make it stronger, but I'd look for a second opinion on my advice lol.

Or maybe knitting with two strands at the same time. That would probably be better.

Don't know if this has helped out at all...

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
trucker945
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to trucker945 Send a message via MSN to trucker945 Send a message via Yahoo to trucker945
Think outside the box... if it bends, you can knot it, knit it, crochet it, or filet it. I've knitted hemp, baling twine, nylon rope, sisal twine, garden twine, butcher's string, wire, fishing line, plastic grocery bags, and I ramble. :rollseyes:
The point is, you never know what you can do until you try it. The best guitar strap I ever made was with cotton packaging twine, and cotton dyes whatever color you want it to be. Go for it.
trucker945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #6
Zaner
Casting On

thanks for the encouragement. i decided to make a bag as well as a strap for this instrument. so should be busy for awhile on this project....