Old 01-17-2006, 10:02 AM   #11
Lana
Turning the Heel

I've had most of my needles for longer than 30 to 40 years. Susan Bates are my hands down favorites! Metal makes my hand cold, so I prefer my very oldest needles. The oldest cards (yup, still have 'em) say they are made of Circlon Nylon, the less old ones say Luxite. I like points and they have just the right amount of smoothness for me.

Recently I tried bamboo, and they seemed to drag, for me. I have a few newer Susan Bates Quick Silver needles, and they're a little too slippery for me. They'd probably be great for someone who knits tight. I tend to be loose.

My favorite crochet hooks are my very old plastic Susan Bates. Of course none of my favorites are manufactured any more. :(
Lana

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #12
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I haven't really developed preferences with my knitting like I have with crochet hooks. I don't care for the flexibility of plastic needles. I'm afraid I will warp or break them... and my kids *have* broken a few already. The type of tip I like depends on the yarn I am working with. I find that the Balene needles I bought before to make scarves with the Bernat Eye Lash, while flexible, have a nice tip that easily gets under those hidden stitches. For the socks I'm knitting for DH out of worsted wool, I have a set of antique Boye dpns that I love. The tip is nice and pointy, and my new RH dpns are much more rounded. Even the new Boyes have a pointier tip than my RHs, but not as sharp as my old ones. I bought a set of bamboo dpns, but was afraid to use them with the thick wool for DHs socks... I will probably try them when I can get to my STR socks.

I'm hoping to develop a relationship soon with Denise's and Addi's... but at nearly $70 for the set, and $20 and up for the Addi circs, it's gonna be a slowly developing collection!

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:24 AM   #13
mintdee
Working the Gusset

I love love love my metal needles! I still haven't tried bamboo (although the lantern moon needles are sooo pretty) I have tried plastic needles however and I just don't like using them

My absolute fav? My Needlemaster set!!!!! :D

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. Aristotle

OTN:
sweater from hell for TJ
simple socks
mintdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
Darhain
1st Leg of the Journey

Anyone use caesin needles? I've been wanting to try them just because the idea fascinates me! My DS has a caesin intolerance, so maybe that will keep him away from my knitting!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #15
Darhain
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Arugula
I loved bamboo for learning, then got frustrated with it when I became a faster/tighter knitter and my stitches were sticking like crazy. Now I am all about aluminum, as long as the ends are really pointy. I bought a pair? of addi circulars but am not sure if I am going to like them, the end seems a lot more blunt than my other metal needles and I hate trying 3 times to get my needle in a stitch when I am working quickly.
Isn't it funny how different people are?!? You like your metal needles only if they have really pointy tips, and hate the really pointy tips. I am not a very tight knitter, so I never have the problem of getting my needle into a stitch with the blunter needles. More the opposite, actually.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #16
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Addi's are #1; Inox & Susan Bates Quicksilver #2......a ways behind my addis

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #17
Amber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Darhain
Anyone use caesin needles? I've been wanting to try them just because the idea fascinates me! My DS has a caesin intolerance, so maybe that will keep him away from my knitting!
Hmm...I've never heard of caesin needles. Sounds interesting!

I LOVE my bamboo needles. I like the way they look and the way they feel in my hands. I also like the fact that they're very *quiet*. I don't mind that they're not super slippery, in fact I prefer it. I think it forces me to keep my knitting nice and loose and to *relax* while I'm knitting.
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #18
KNITBIT
1st Leg of the Journey

I LOVE my Denises!!!!!!!!!! But at the moment I've been knitting lots of socks...and I AM LOVING my Boye dpns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love how pointy they are, nice and smooth..I even LOVE the little clinking sounds :D Not to mention they're pretty...heehee...guess that's a lil plus

I didn't like using my bamboo dpns for socks because my stitches tended to stick...also the ends being too blunt. Btw, that's the reason I love my Denises, the fact that the ends are nice and pointy!

KNITBIT :XX:
Swatch+ KIP++ Blog SNB++ EZ?>+ FO 24 WIP 1 Gauge W+ B+ Al-
KNITBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #19
jodstr2
Instepping Out

Addi Turbos, mostly. super slick and fast.

but for smoother yarns, I like my Clover Bamboo.

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:17 PM   #20
Tamar Dohel
Knitting the Flap

I've only ever used the plastic ones and am about to use thin metal ones.

Nevertheless, I like my needles long so I can tuck one under the arm and pointed which slide better into the stitches.
Tamar Dohel is offline   Reply With Quote