Old 01-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #31
Silver
Instepping Out

Congratulations!!!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #32
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Thanks, Kemp & Silver!

Kemp ... that's a pretty wacky new avatar you have there. 8-)

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #33
BonnieM
1st Leg of the Journey

A true labor of love and a beautiful work of art. Sorry if I missed this, but what yarn did you use?
BonnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #34
Angelia

Oh, Julie, that's gorgeous!!

Old 01-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #35
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea
.Mom,

You look like a beautiful butterfly in that picture!! That is stunning! Good job, you must be very proud!!!

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:31 PM   #36
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Thanks, Andrea ... and everyone else, too.

And the yarn is Shimmer from Knitpicks.com

Mozgur -- I still need to read through your post again before I reply, and right now I have to focus on dinner. Sheesh ... what's more important? Eating or knitting? I guess it depends on who you ask.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
Old 01-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #37
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Re: This is beautiful!!!
Originally Posted by mozgur
I knew it would be challenging, but I admired how you kept going at it and did not give up! :sunny: ...and look at the result; it is just sooo beautiful!
Well, thank you so very much for that comment!! It made me go like this: :D And I really have to give a LOT of credit to dear Ingrid!! If I hadn't had all her help w/ the border waaaaay back in July, I would never have gotten through this stupid thing. (Thank you, Ingy! )

Originally Posted by mozgur
I just tried that yesterday! I tried it with size 4, 6, 8 and 10 1/2 needles, and even though I started with size 8, somehow I did not feel like I was comfortable with the fabric, and restarted again with size 6!!! Now, hearing you say this, maybe I should reconsider... :thinking: On the circulars, I had a 29" long bamboo one, and the needle part felt longer than it should have been, so I was thinking to get a 24" one?...and I know bamboo is really nice, but I am not sure if they do pointy enough needles with bamboo; I will try to find one...
Yes, that's the drawback w/ the bamboos.

Oops I just went and looked @ the bamboo circulars I was using for this, and they were size 5, not 6. Sorry 'bout that. Anyway, they were 35" long, and that was a *very* comfortable length once I got to the point where there were 500+ stitches on the needles. You may want to work your way up to that length, though. I have a set of Needlemasters, and I started on the longest cable in that set and eventually switched to the really long ones when the stitches kept falling off of the other ones.

Also, if you're already comfortable working w/ laceweight yarn (which I wasn't), metal needles might be just fine for you.

Originally Posted by Mozgur
I made a sample, and I should have taken a picture to double check with you. I realized the mistake at row 17, but probably skipped the row 14 - thank you!!! The question is, I think I got the idea, but the two I-cord sides of the triangle did not really seemed symmetrical, I think I am not sure where to pick up the stitches on the left I-cord side. Is it from the middle of the very left 2 stitches??
Well, I'm sure I didn't pick up the stitches correctly. Ingrid is the expert on this part, but here's what I did:

First, I took the left needle and picked up a thread from the actual selvedge stitch on the left side of the triangle -- it's not really all that imporant *which* thread you pick up. Eventually, it dawned on me that I didn't even need to do this. Instead, when I got to the point where I knit 2, slipped 1, and then needed one of the selvedge stitches, I just picked it up *through* the selvedge stitch as you normally would, and then knit it. I found that it wasn't even all that important to have exactly 8 repetitions of this i-cord on the left side of the triangle. Just work your way down the left side and when you get into one or 2 stitches on the actual shawl edge, you can start the new point.

Being as impatient as I was, I ordered the whole 4 skeins of the yarn they recommended at knitpicks....I got the Shimmer yarn, color Maple Leaf...Just arrived on Saturday, and it really looks very delicate. If I have left over yarn too, maybe we can start a lace scarf on the knit-alongs together, and use it that way!?
Oooo ... that sounds like a good idea. I really like the yarn, and I'm not as afraid of it now as I was when I first saw it. I think the Maple Leaf is going to be *beautiful*!

Thank you!!! I will do my best :XX: and I hope one day I can take a picture to show it to you!
I'm *sure* you will!! It's not really all that bad, I guess. I just got really tired of it, and there were a bunch of other things I wanted to knit. I also think this would be a fun project to do in a bulkier yarn. I think you could finish it in relatively little time using a worsted weight. Plus, you can always add in a lace pattern in the center section, too, and that would make it a much more interesting project to knit. If I had been a little more confident with I started the shawl, I definitely would have done a lace pattern.

Keep us posted on your progress!! I can't wait to see it!

Old 01-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #38
mozgur
Casting On

Hi DotMom,

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions in detail!! THANK YOU! :D

I am continuing with the project, and this is my first time to knit with the lace yarn so I am still adjusting! I will consider adding a lace work, even though it sounds a little scary at this point.

I will definitely keep you posted on the progress. :XX:
mozgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #39
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Oh my gosh! I love it! It's a work of art all right. Those are my kind of colors too. That mustve taken forever. Congrats!
You've inspired me to try something BIGGER AND BETTER! ha

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #40
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Mozgur -- You are *very* welcome! I decided it would be best to put down what I remember now while it's still fresh in my mind. ;-) And, I agree, the lace thing is scary on a pattern like this -- especially because you are going to be increasing regularly. It would be hard to figure out the repeats. I'll leave that for the experts!

Vic -- don't get all carried away. Do something modular!! This took me nearly 6 mos. Seriously, if you use a bigger gauge yarn, it's not too terrible and starts building up really quickly. With the lace-weight yarn, it's really hard to notice progress for a while.