Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #21
Mad About Wool
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mad About Wool
Hey wabbit, have you come up for air yet?

Knitter's Geek Code
KER+++$ Exp+ SPM++ Rosewood LM++ EbonySusannes++@ !Addi--
Yarn Natural Fibers+++ !Acrylic Stash+Scale+ Fin- Ent+ Flat+ Circ + DPN + ML + KIP+
Blog+ FO+++ WIP+++ Gauge F+++ Alt SP++++++++++
Mad About Wool is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #22
wabbit
Ribbing the Cuff

I actually haven't had a whole lot of time to devote to it. I messed around with it for about an hour and a half total, and got frustrated cause I sucked so bad and quit

I did get some good spinning accomplished on my spindle though! I read a little of the Alden Amos book, and am ready to try and tackle the wheel again. I have a video coming, and I already signed up for a class at my LYS, but until then I'll just have to try to figure it out on my own.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #23
Mad About Wool
1st Leg of the Journey

Just don't start drawing a bath for yourself and think "I'll try this for a few minutes while my bath is running."

You will get it. I had no one to teach me and I still managed to muddle through. I am sure within the next couple of days you will be surprised at what you can do.

Knitter's Geek Code
Yarn Natural Fibers+++ !Acrylic Stash+Scale+ Fin- Ent+ Flat+ Circ + DPN + ML + KIP+
Old 01-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #24
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

The first time I tried my wheel, all I got was a big mess. The next time I started out with a mess and but before long it clicked. It is still super uneven and in some places overspun....but it isn't just a mass of balled up fibers!!! You will get it.
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #25
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Oooh, congratulations Wabbit, Lendrums are fantastic! I have a friend who just got that wheel.

Make sure your break tension (the turny knob with the fishing line wrapped around it, assuming it has that feature) isn't too tight. I once sat down to help a friend who was struggling to learn to spin, and turned out her break tension was so tight that no spinner could spin on her wheel! It should be just tight enough that the yarn is pulled gently into the flyer. If it's being pulled firmly in, that's way too tight, and your yarn will be far more likely to break and get sucked in.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #26
wabbit
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the tips! I did learn pretty quick about the brake tension after struggling A LOT with it. And I'm already doing a lot better, getting the hang of treadling, but I still need to work on my drafting. It is so great, and I'm so glad I decided to get it!
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:35 PM   #27
Mad About Wool
1st Leg of the Journey

Mwwaa Haa Haa - Another one caught in the spinning web :devil: (But isn't it sooo much fun?)

Knitter's Geek Code
Old 10-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #28
Justknit1223
Casting On

Try taking a class!!
I'm definitely the biggest dork here. I'm the only 9th grader I know that went to the Fiber Loft in Harvard Ma to take a 5 hour class to learn how to spin yarn. (on a wheel, the drop spindle seemed tedious and boring to me)

At first I struggled with the hand motions. Treadling was easy and mindless. It's similar to rubbing your stomach and patting your head, you always have to think of one more than the other as you do it. After lunch it resonated a little more with me and I made a little better progress. IT JUST TAKES A HECK OF A LOTTA PRACTICE AND PATIENCE.

Attached is a picture of my results. I dyed it with Kool-Aid a and it still smells like sugar!!!

I learned on a Louet s10 and I've been scouring the internet with my mom trying to find a used wheel. I'm also looking into the Louet s15 a friend of mine is letting me practice on hers, and its practically the same as the s10. I think I'm leaning towards the Louet s15 though...

Lastly, not to be a nuisance but if anyone knows where I can find one it would be gratefully appreciated!!!
Justknit1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #29
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

While you're scouring the Internet, be sure to scour Ravelry's Used Spinning Equipment forum. I'm sure that most of the offers there never appear anywhere else.

Good luck!
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote