Old 01-30-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

Plying!
Wow! I can't believe the difference plying can make. I can't remember which thread Carolyin talked about how plying can turn not great singles into decent yarn. I didn't ply my first singles because they were so twisty and was pretty slubby. Well after Carolyn talked about how plying can actually help with this, I figured...what the heck. Last night I spun two bobbins full of singles and then plied them. Not only did plying smooth out all the twistiness and even out some of the slubbiness....but it also made the yarn softer! Who knew?!
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
That is good to hear, cause I am hoping to finish a bobbin today and ply it with what I finished yesterday.

question though, how many ounces did you spin up into yarn? I'm doing 2 oz each adn then plying it, and it is taking me about 2 hours each to finish anything.

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by YarnMommy
That is good to hear, cause I am hoping to finish a bobbin today and ply it with what I finished yesterday.

question though, how many ounces did you spin up into yarn? I'm doing 2 oz each adn then plying it, and it is taking me about 2 hours each to finish anything.
Honestly I don't know. I would bet that is about right. If I my understanding that a standard niddy noddy is a yard is correct, then I have about 60 yards of yarn. But I can't tell you how much roving I used up.
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
Mad About Wool
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mad About Wool

You go, girl!!! Plying is a little harder than spinning singles, but well worth it, don't you think? And a 3-ply makes a "rounder" yarn than a 2 ply and will hide even more irregularities.

(If you have an Ashford Niddy Noddy, it makes a 5 ft skein, so, multipy the number of strands by 5 ft. then divide by 3 to get yardage.)

Pictures?

Knitter's Geek Code
KER+++$ Exp+ SPM++ Rosewood LM++ EbonySusannes++@ !Addi--
Yarn Natural Fibers+++ !Acrylic Stash+Scale+ Fin- Ent+ Flat+ Circ + DPN + ML + KIP+
Blog+ FO+++ WIP+++ Gauge F+++ Alt SP++++++++++
Mad About Wool is offline   Reply With Quote