Old 02-15-2006, 06:29 AM   #11
Debbie
Working the Gusset

Carol .... they aren't getting very good reviews as far as knitting goes ... but did you see this

US size #0, #1, and #2 are currently available only in yellow or lime green. Larger sizes are available in orange, yellow, lime, violet, marine blue, and hot pink.

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-15-2006, 07:50 AM   #12
quirky
Knitting the Flap

I feel for your dpn trouble.
I found I really like the balene needles. They ARE flexible - but not droopy. Like the others I have had trouble with metal, and bamboo and wood were too skicky. I thought the balene was a happy compromise.
Funny but I dont like balene for straight needle work except the dpns!
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
countingsheep
Working the Gusset

I have a suggestion but not for needles - stores! I believe that you have a couple of LYS in Co. Springs but... it's always nice to know where others are!

You may already know about these two but I discovered one of them on my recent "vacation". I went to the "Red Wheel" in Castle Rock where we were staying. It's a bit up the road for you but it is right off of 25 - the exit before the outlet mall coming up from Colorado Springs. She has a lovely selection of beautiful yarns (exotic and basic) and needles as well as spinning supplies! It was VERY quiet when we were there (right at the holidays) and I believe that I spoke with the owner. She was quite helpful and even put down her own knitting to talk with me!
If you are up for a bit of a road trip - my SIL swears that the "Strawberry Tree" is THE place to go. It's also off of 25 but more into town - on Monaco near Evans. We didn't make it to this one and I was not happy but... I heard very good things.

Good luck with the replacement needles. I would end up buying every kind until I found what I really liked but that was before all of these wonderful people with wonderful suggestions came into my life!

Take care, Ang
ps - Boy, I wish I had known that you were just down the road over Christmas!
countingsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #14
KatyKoolkat
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to KatyKoolkat
I just thought I would let you know that polymer is used in sculpting, as in this. No, that isn't a real baby!-but he was sculpted out of polymer, so it is no surprise (to me anyway, sorry!!) that your dpns are so floppy.

Katy[/url]
KatyKoolkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #15
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
A "polymer" is a compund of linked units. They occur spontaneously in nature and through the wonders of chemistry. DNA, casein (from cow's milk), cellulose, and starch are all polymers. As are rayon, polyester, and polystyrene. So don't be afraid of the word polymer, it's a general term.

My suggestion for DPNs are the Bryspun brand. I them.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #16
Danielle
Working the Gusset

Balene! that's what they are...maybe the larger sizes are sturdier, the sz 3's are just too flexible for me. :(

OTN: nothing :(
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #17
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

Well, Knitting on the Go is sending me replacement needles at no charge. Apparently, I am not the first to complain about them and the manufacturer made some changes to the polymer. I'm willing to give them a try, but I did buy some Brittany 5" dpns from one of my LYS. The lady at the store told me that if they broke, I could bring them back in for a replacement. Wooohooo!

Ang, I did know about the stores in Castle Rock. We made an impromptu trip to the outlet mall there and I had quickly looked up the yarn shops in the area. The only problem was that we spent too much time at the outlets and then the shops were closed. :( Next time, I will go there FIRST! We moved to the Springs on Dec 19 (from Southern CA) so we would've loved some company for Christmas. Next time!

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #18
DannahK
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via ICQ to DannahK Send a message via AIM to DannahK Send a message via MSN to DannahK Send a message via Yahoo to DannahK
That's horrible... I have a pair of the comfort zones that are size ones, and I haven't had problems with them, other than them being very flexible.

My Blog: Knitting Deek

Recently Finished Project: Trio Knit Tote, Suki Tote
Current Project:
Booga Bag

Upcoming Project: Baby Feet
DannahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #19
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

OH, Sara--I was waiting for someone to mention Bryspuns!! I LOVE their little 5" dpns!! I think I ordered mine from Elann....I don't think I'll ever use anything to knit socks with again but the Bryspuns--they have just the right amount of flex for me, the stitches don't slip off, yet they slide off when you knit them. I also have some little short Brittaney's (sp!) that I love!! They are either birch or bamboo--maybe birch is correct. Metal needles have NO flex at all, and they are slippery as far as stitches slipping off when you least expect it!! Metal ones I have seem especially hard on my hands!

The hardest thing I find is KEEPINGUP WITH MY DPNS!! I'm always losing one in the sofa, in my recliner, under the bed, at the doctor's office, etc. :rollseyes: I need to order more Bryspuns now, I just keep LOSING things!! Ahh!! Darn it--getting old is a PITA!!!

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote