Old 02-19-2006, 12:18 AM   #1
Marni
Knitting the Flap

Resurrected project. Need input.
Well, I'm finally going to finish it!!!! I had totally lost interest in this project that I started 16 years ago (yes, really 16 years). I was showing my brother some of the simple things I've made lately as well as the afghan pieces I had made and never finished. I don't know what I was thinking when I picked black and purple :rollseyes: He said "I'll take it". To which I replied "SOLD!!!".

Anyway, we picked out a third color to make the last panel out of which goes with the clock in his LR (colors don't look they match to me, but he says they'll work); we couldn't find an orange that was close at all. ANYWAY, now I'm wondering before I get too far on this last panel if I could/should separate the already done purple panel in half to make more like this design (see pic) or just finish the darn thing and stitch it together.

Of course consideration to do an operation of this type will require even further assistance from the lovely people on this site.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	jims_afghan_3colors0002.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	25080  Click image for larger version

Name:	3colordivide.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	25081  Click image for larger version

Name:	jims_afghan_3colors0001.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	25082  
Attached Images:

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
I think that would look great!! The colors all match too!

BTW I LOVE that clock!! It's so abstract!
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
I really like it in the picture. It makes it much more than just a striped afghan. I think if I was going to separate the panel, I'd put in a lifeline on two sides of a row and then cut the row between.

It is gorgeous. I know I have projects that sit around for a while, but 16 years with so little left to do?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:13 AM   #4
Marni
Knitting the Flap

So, Ingrid, after I run a life line on both sides of the row I'll cut through, can I just join new yarn and bind off like usual? Will it matter if I bind off RS or WS on the row that goes opposite of the way it was knitted? Pardon if this seems obvious, but I've never cut knitting in half but still wanted to keep it in tact.

Then again, there are numerous errors in this thing from way back when there wasn't internet to learn the neat tricks to fix boo boos without frogging. And I wasn't knitting continental either then so to frog really hurt. Put it this way... there's NO WAY those cables are gonna line up next to each other and the length of the 3 completed panels are off. My brother doesn't care though... he's such a sweet brother.

Jim, my brother, must like the clock too since he seems to be changing the decor to match it. I haven't seen it in person since he lives in Tampa and I'm in Detroit.

Oh, yes, I think 16 years is right on the money... been married darn near 15 and I know I started it before that, but not too long before. The original yarn was $1.29 for a 3 oz skein of Wintuk. Looks like an old Kmart sticker... That was probably before they used bar codes to ring items up. I realized some 5 or 6 years ago that the skeins of purple I had for the last panel was not the right shade which was a big factor in why it was never finished.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

$1.29

Why not just knit on to the stitches with the purple? You could do it on one side, anyway, because of the edging (very nice, btw).

You could bind off one of the cut panels and then pick up and knit the other way for the other purple. Does that make sense?

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 02-20-2006, 10:17 PM   #6
Marni
Knitting the Flap

Thanks Ingrid :D

Yes, that makes sense. But I already BO with the first 1/2 panel of the green and am well into the 2nd 1/2 panel so I guess I'll have to "cut and paste" rather than add on.

Can you suggest a stitch or method for putting all these pieces together? What color would you suggest given the multiple colors? Yikes... I'm thinking this should be over in the knitting question forum. Sorry...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

How about an edge to edge seam?

IngridKH on Ravelry