Old 02-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
Arugula
1st Leg of the Journey

So it isn't actually a double treadle but a single treadle that is wide. A double treadle looks like two pedals and you treadle with both feet at the same time. (I do know some things, lol).

I agree about the ratios, I think they will be perfect. The thinner the yarn, the more twist it needs to hold together so the wheel needs to spin pretty fast. A spinner friend of mine in a weaver, not a knitter so his wheels are all pretty fast to make dense, tight, thin yarns. When I buy one, I am going to go for the slower ratios so I can easily spin lofty, soft, thick yarns. Yummy! You are going to have so much fun!!!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #12
schrodinger
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to schrodinger Send a message via Yahoo to schrodinger
Thanks for the info on the ratios, sounds like I lucked out a little there.

Arugula - I'm trying to learn a lot of this 'spinning language' and get confused here and there, yes, you're right, it's an extra wide treadle, not a double treadle. Here's hoping that I will get the hang of this spinning better than my command of the spinning language.

FYI: this was an ebay bargain, it was less than just about any other wheel I could find on the market. I will let you know about condition etc when I get it.
schrodinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #13
Arugula
1st Leg of the Journey

Didn't mean to offend or come off as a know it all, just didn't want you to be disappointed thinking you had a double. Sorry if that sounded bad! If it is any consolation, all I have is tons of research, a new spinner friend I met up with once and 3 very cheap spindles so I am hardly an expert! lol Sometimes my attempts to pass along information or seek clarification come off as pretentious. I really suck with picking words.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #14
schrodinger
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to schrodinger Send a message via Yahoo to schrodinger
Arugula, you didn't come off badly at all, I feel embarassed that I don't really know what I'm talking about (something that I hope to change very soon). I appreciate the information you (and everyone else here a KH) are passing on to me - believe me I need it, I have a feeling that spinning might be a tad harder to pick up than the knitting. I'm glad that the twist ratios ( ) sound good, hope that means I have a better chance of 'getting it'.
schrodinger is offline   Reply With Quote