Old 03-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #21
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
I did nothing but talk and listen at SNB tonight, it wasn't so bad

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-02-2006, 01:21 AM   #22
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

This thread cracks me up. pitchforks! y'all are too much.

I find that the biggest thing that keeps me from my needles is when I go through periods when I don't want to think or plan a project. I won't pick anything up, because I just don't want to think about it!

Well, I don't worry about it if I go for a stretch without knitting (yes it does happen!). But I do find it frustrating to not have anything on the needles when I just want to sit down and not think and just knit. So that's when it's time to work on something repetitive, or random in pattern, where I don't need to think or plan it at all.

One project which I think I saw in a knitting book once, which is so cool, is to keep a basket of random yarn leftovers and a set of needles by your couch, and just cast on for a simple scarf, then forget about it. In the book, the project was actually something you leave set out for guests to tinker on, a few rows here, a few inches there, changing colors and stitch patterns on a whim; and you can even teach people to knit on it, which ads to the playful irregularity and specialness of it! It's a great way to use up scraps, play with new stitch patterns, or just zone out and do some garter stitch when you feel like knitting a bit. You just make this random, wonky scarf, and the less you worry about color coordination, regularity, perfection, etc, the cooler it will come out! If a scarf is over too fast for you, make a bunch of them and turn it into an afghan!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #23
Angelia

Originally Posted by JessicaR
I did nothing but talk and listen at SNB tonight, it wasn't so bad
Yay!!

Amy's suggestion about knitting something random is a great one! I keep a little mindless project around for times when I just want to play with a pattern or with cables, or when I want to do something that doesn't require counting stitches or staying in a pattern. I've practiced cables on this thing, and I've done other stuff as well. It's about a foot and a half long now (only 30 stitches wide!) and looks really bizarre, but I love it because it's totally mindless and it has no specific purpose, no deadline (real or imagined), and no gauge. This for-play piece will not become anything later, though, mainly because I don't want it to! That might stress me out and undercut its very purpose.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #24
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
I love that idea, Amy! My mind is already thinking about what to put in the basket!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:35 PM   #25
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
Re: Not for those faint of heart
Oh Jessica! Have you been reading my diary! I few weeks ago when I attempted some very easy lace and majorly screwed it up, rip, rip , rip, etc. I cried for two days. I even told DH "I"m never knitting again, I cant have a life and knit." I had pressure from trying to challenge myself with the KO. I started some mindless projects, but heck I screwed those up too. Rooky mistakes. So I am taking a break. I'm still yarn shopping, ha! So I know Ill pick the needles back up soon. And my mom who has never asked me to knit anything asked me to knit her a booga. So know your in good company. Good luck at snb. I will say its been good for me, cause I'm refocusing on somethings that I hadn't been able to do.

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #26
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
I think maybe I'll just take this down time to learn some new stitches, I found my 32 stitch book. Or watch Amy's video and learn the star. I'm home sick today, maybe it's a good day to expand my knitting knowledge. If I don't fall back asleep.