Old 03-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #41
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by bjc1050
Just wanted to make a note that while yes, pits, by human creation, have the tendancy to be dog agressive, it's really the owners that are responsible. My bf and I just recently got a pit puppy and are working diligently on getting him socialized and properly trained.
If the dogs owner doesn't take proper care, and pits need more care around other dogs than most dogs, it's not the dogs fault.
Honestly what makes me angry is that not very many people take into consideration any realistic topics when they buy pets. There is a problem with Pitts and the problem is that humans have been breeding the most vicious dogs to each other for too many years. Yes, you can get a perfectly great dog and how you raise it makes a big difference. But if you are buying from a breeder that does not have their own lineage of dogs going back many years, it is just as easy to get a dog that has been bred for all the worst qualities. And I'm not sure it matters whether the dog is at fault or the owner is at fault when someone ends up maimed or dead.

Breeders are just like any other professional. If they are legitimate, then they have had many litters and will supply you with all the references you want. You call other people who have had their dogs, and you find out what to expect. It just makes me mad that people don't do their homework. I also think that there is a difference between bringing a small dog into your home and a large dog. Any dog can go bad, but the worst I can expect from my chihuahua is a bleeding ankle. A pitt bull can kill you.

Okay, enough ranting. :-)
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #42
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

[quote="CarmenIbanez"]
Originally Posted by bjc1050
Just wanted to make a note that while yes, pits, by human creation, have the tendancy to be dog agressive, it's really the owners that are responsible. My bf and I just recently got a pit puppy and are working diligently on getting him socialized and properly trained.
If the dogs owner doesn't take proper care, and pits need more care around other dogs than most dogs, it's not the dogs fault.
I didn't write this. Just quoted it from another post.

The problem with pit bulls is that too many people deliberately train them to be fighting dogs. They are just as bad as terrorists. Just goes to show you...evil can be anywhere.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #43
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

My bad for misquoting you! I shouldn't have posted it at all. It hijacked the thread more and I love to celebrate puppies, so forget it!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #44
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Calculator for dog sweaters
Just came across this so haven't tried it yet. Thought it might be useful in the future. Going to post it in my blog Always a Beginner here at Knittinghelp, also.

http://www.thedietdiary.com/cgi-bin/chart_dog.pl

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
Old 03-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #45
knit-a-holic
Knitting the Flap

I've heard about customizing websites. Those are cool! I'd have to try it one day when I get started on the sweater!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #46
Knittens
Ribbing the Cuff

This is Fletch. He's a bit too big to sweaterize. And he's got all'a that fur. (I'm hoping to learn how to spin with his fur someday) He's and Old English Sheepdog.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #47
knit-a-holic
Knitting the Flap

He just looks so soft n fluffy! :D Love the pic!
Old 03-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #48
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Fletch looks so snuggly. Apparently, huskies aren't the ONLY dogs with blue eyes.

KJV