Old 03-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #11
njknitter
Knitting the Flap

I've done socks on 2 circs and my circs are not great ones (gotta get me some of these addi turbos that everyone talks about). I found that my knitting (like my personality on occasion) is wrapped a bit too tight! So when using circs I try to knit a little more loosely and that seems to make the transition between the cord and needle a bit easier.

Probably not the best advice since you're already into the sock project, but thought I'd mention it for future reference.

Lynn

P.S. Most of my needles belonged to my grandmother who first taught me to knit when I was a kid. Never did anything with it until recently, but was glad that my sister and I had hung on to her knitting things since she passed about 15 years ago. Luckily my sister doesn't knit so there were no battles over her doo-dads.
5 baby blankets; 2 afghans; 1 large afghan for large brother-in-law; 4 scarves; 4 toddler sweaters; 6 simple teddy bears; This teddy bear and 4 others from the book; 1 monkey; 1 tank top/cardigan set; 1 cape; 1 shrug; 1 pair mittens; 2 pairs socks; 2 pairs felted clogs; 1 hat; lace edged tank, Vitadini Lace Yoked Top

Currently working on: scarf for sis
njknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #12
ella
Ribbing the Cuff

I would second the suggestion to try different needles. I like my Clover bamboo circulars, but I don't know if they go much smaller than size 3. I have used Addi Nutura and Addi Turbo for socks and both have worked great. Good luck!
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #13
Julie
Instepping Out

Babydill, that's the exact place my join was wonky too...I'd show you a pic but I threw that cable away! :rollseyes: The tape really did help...the yarn snagged a teeny bit on the tape but not nearly as much as it did in the gap. :D
Old 03-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #14
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I tried knitting socks with my Boyes as well and the joins were miserable. I bought a 30" Addi and am using the magic loop method which has been working fine so far. In MHO the purchase price of a 30" #2 and #3 Addi was well worth the price in reduced aggravation.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #15
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

I just made socks on two circs using my Boye interchangeables. I know exactly what you're talking about. That white plastic-y part that's got the teeny lines on it, where the cord becomes bigger as it gets to the metal section, right?
It was frustrating and also made the dreaded laddering worse, because of all the tugging, etc. I'll tell you what I did. When you turn the work to start a new half-round of knitting, don't even bother sliding the stitches up onto the back needle part. Just leave them on the cable portion. This helps in two ways: No need to deal with the annoying join, and the stitches are small enough back there such that when you knit the stitches on the working needle, you get NO LADDERS.
Of course, this doesn't eliminate getting the stitches onto the front/working needle and dealing with the join, but it is half the battle.
For this very reason, I just bought double pointed needles on ebay. I might not like them because they're metal, but it will be interesting to compare the two methods.
Yes folks, even with knitting for 35 years, I've avoided DPNs all this time.!

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote