Old 01-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
sogrammatical
Knitting the Flap

Beginning spinning
Reading all these posts has made me decide that I'd like to try spinning my own yarn. (You guys are such a bad influence!) I'm going to try the drop spindle as it's so much less expensive than a wheel and it'll fit in my dorm room.

What would you guys recommend for a spindle - top or bottom whirl? Is there any particular brand that's especially good? I found this one which is convertable. Good idea or bad idea? What size/weight is recommended for beginners?

Also, what sort of roving should I be looking for and what is a reasonable price to pay? At the same site I was looking at spindles they had some that seemed inexpensive, but I don't really have a standard of comparison. I know yarn.com sells roving because I've seen it in baskets in their store, but I can't find anything about it on their website.

So, in short (haha), any advice you guys can give on starting out would be much appreciated!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...pic.php?t=7726

Here is a long thread on spindles. There are tons of info on top vs bottom whorl, makers, etc. Somewhere in all that is directions on how to make a cd spindle.

I have found Corriedale is an easy first fiber to work with.
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Arugula
1st Leg of the Journey

I just started using a drop spindle, made a CD spindle, bought a bottom whorl. HATED the bottom whorl, I think because I really like rolling it on my leg to get the spin. Also, you don't have to do a half-hitch on a top whorl. In addition, I like my CD spindle over my (exchanged) purchased top whorl because it is lighter and less likely for me to break the yarn. I plan on keeping the purchased spindle so I can use it as I get better and have more control. I bought a bag of mystery roving (as in, no label for the type of wool) at my LYS-8oz for $6. So far it has been really easy to work with and goes so much farther than I thought it would. If you don't have access to a drill where you are, PM me and I'll go get the dowels and drill them for you if you want. It is super cheap, to make 3 spindles I paid $5 at Home Depot plus free CD's (thank you AOL!). I put a ring of glue at the top of my spindle, I had trouble with the CD moving when I wound on the yarn. And that is the sum total of what I know!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
I just started a group on yahoo for beginning spinners. Feel free to join!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beginning_spinners/
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:20 AM   #5
lisa e
Ribbing the Cuff

What type of spindle is best is totally up to the spinner. I prefer a top whorl myself. One of my favorite spindles, believe it or not, is a spindle I made myself from junk CD's. It is perfectly balanced and long spinning.

There are a wide variety of spindle makers out there. From under $10.00 to over $100.00, it's all about design, wood it's made from and such. Spindles are very collectable and made from an unbelievable variety of raw materials. Even moose antlers and ancient prehistoric mammoth teeth! I have one spindle that I treasure that is inlaid with turquoise nuggets.

I would buy a spindle with a medium weight, and a medium size whorl. What wood its made from is up to you. One of my favorite spindles comes from Jeanne and Paul Hubbard a Simple Market Farms. Their spindles are made one by one by Paul and are truly works of art. Jeanne also has a wide variety of different fibers.

http://www.simplemarketfarms.com/index.html

If you need any help, don't hesitate to write.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
koolbreeze
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to koolbreeze
fibers
anyone know where i can get educated on the different roving fibers so i can know what is what when trying to decided what fibers i want to buy? like what animals give what kind of fibers and what they look like spun. thanks!

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
Stupidity is not a handicap. Park elsewhere!
They call it PMS because MadCow Disease was already taken.
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Koolbreeze, I know of a video that should cover the different types of fibers, and how to spin them. I haven't watched it, but it looks good, it's called "Spin Exotic Fibers" (and Novelty yarns). I watched another video by this company, which I highly recommend (I may even sell it on my site eventually) called "Spinning Wool --Basics and Beyond." Both are available here.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote