Old 03-18-2006, 12:36 AM   #1
ctmax
Knitting the Flap

sock yarn
What else besides socks can you make with this yarn? I would kind of like to knit toddler mittens, but don't know where to find a pattern with this gauge. :D
ctmax is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-18-2006, 12:59 AM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

There are two books by Sandi Rosner -- Not Just Socks and Not Just More Socks -- that feature patterns using sock yarn for not only socks but other accessories like hats, mittens, scarves, etc. I'm not sure if they all have children's sizing...if they look promising to you, you may want to see if you can sneak a peek at your library or LYS before you buy one. :D
Old 03-18-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
ctmax
Knitting the Flap

Well since my baby was up at 6:00 this morning I went looking for patterns and came up with this. http://www.doublediamondknits.com/free.html pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though.
ctmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
IrishBaby
Knitting the Flap

You can also double strand it and knit something at a bigger gauge.
IrishBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie
There are two books by Sandi Rosner -- Not Just Socks and Not Just More Socks -- that feature patterns using sock yarn for not only socks but other accessories like hats, mittens, scarves, etc. I'm not sure if they all have children's sizing...if they look promising to you, you may want to see if you can sneak a peek at your library or LYS before you buy one. :D
Oh! Oh! I saw these books at my LYS yesterday. I didn't get a chance to really look at it, but the quick glance I gave it it looked cool!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
kadishiraven
Casting On

You could also use sock yarn for warm lace patterns.... I made a scarf once, in desperation since I couldn't find my cotton.
kadishiraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
My friend is developmentally disabled, and part of his disability is hearing loss. He does have a hearing aid that is the head band type. I made a little sock for the receiver end of it, cuz he sweats a lot, and the plastic got separated and his sis was using an icky rubber band to hold it together. So, I made him a "hearing aid cozy".....I'd show a pic of it, but the puppy ATE the hearing aid, along with the sock I'm sure....this thing is worth SOOOO much money!!!!

His birthday is in a couple days, so I'll make another little sock for it!!!

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I got a pattern booklet from my LYS. It's from Patons and it's called Winter Warmth. It has several sock patterns in it, as well as some mittens and scarves and such. Everything is made with a single strand of Patons Kroy.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote