Old 05-31-2006, 11:56 PM   #31
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i always just knit two stitches together... if there aren't too many of them it would be fairly unnoticable....i just wouldn't do it on the outside stitches....one or two in!
MsJohannah (01-04-2011), pathfinder (05-19-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #32
lgbrlbatb
Ribbing the Cuff

Purling
I too am having trouble after purling. My finger tips kinda of hurt so I have to take a break.
lgbrlbatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #33
lgbrlbatb
Ribbing the Cuff

extra stitches
I think some of mine were after I pulled the stitch through the loop I forgot to take one stitch off of the right needle. So basically I knitted the same loop twice. I slowed down and it isn't happening anymore.

The marker is a great idea though. I am working on a project that has 110 cast on and it it frustrating to have to recount them each time I finish a row to make sure I don't have extras.
lgbrlbatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:23 AM   #34
Wendy B.
Casting On

I'm working on my first scarf now, and somehow it grew from 25 stitches to 32 stitches wide. Eventually I figured out what I was doing: my yarn is Lion's Brand Wool-Eze, and it can get pretty fuzzy and fluffy. So I'd have between-stitches parts sticking up, and I'd be worried that they were actual stitches I'd dropped! Easy mistake, but also easy to avoid if you watch where you put the needle.
Wendy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:36 AM   #35
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

ah, this hapenned to me at my very first knitting...
then i analyzed it...
my end stitch was always not too tight and it's like pulled up (or above, you say it?) (imagine the needle is facing you horizontally)...that 'pulled' position created a 'looked like' 'addition' to the stitch...and it caused me mis-knitted everytime that i use this 'addition' as my first stitch which i shouldn't.

i made solution that i use the stitch at the back of the needle (remember the needle's position) as my starting point...i always make adjustment for the untight stitch first.
i always do this, i pull the yarn to the back and make sure that pulled up stitch doesn't show up or just make it to similar form of the stitch one row below.
then, i look at the singel stitch at the back of the neddle and that's my my starting point for my next row.

i do that and there's no addition anymore...
i hope my explanation is helpful (and understandable since english is not my native languange)...i'm a beginner myself and that's the trick of my own.

cozyhomelife,
ah, thanks for the tips for hurt finger...mine is too...now, every morning i wake up, i feel my thumbs like cramp (is that how you spell it?) or stiff...
sometimes, i just look at my finger confusely and thinking, 'what is happening to you?"
Nichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:19 PM   #36
earlie
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to earlie
Thanks so much!
I just taught myself how to knit last night, and discovered to my dismay that in just a few rows I had added 5 stitches!! I will try these tips and see how I do. I am so glad I found this site! I am sure I will be referring to it frequently. If anyone has any tips for beginners, please feel free to share - I would love to hear from anyone who might have advice!
earlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #37
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

This Mysterious extra stitches must be pretty comon with us beginners lol...

I too just started knitting for the first time and I am moving very slow and counting each stitch only to find extra's when I recount It's driving me crazy I am beginning to wonder if I'll ever get the hang of this

But I am so glad to have found this thread and I am going to really watch my stitches now.

I want to do this so bad! I want to make a sweater......even a funky looking loopsided sweater ...at least I can say I did it! Prefect would be great though...lol

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:06 AM   #38
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
The more you knit, the more you can recognize mistakes as they happen. Just keep going!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #39
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

I saw it, I saw the Mysterious extra stitch form right before my eyes . I saw it twice!! See, if you slow down and really concentrate and watch each stitch you'll see it too!

I used someone's advice to use makers and it has helped so much ! Thank you whoever you were.

My finger tips hurt too! is that normal? I don't think that I have purled yet? I think I'm doing a Garter stitch? it's the first thing that I learned and I have been using it to practice getting the rhythm if that makes any sense... and trying to avoid the Mysterious extra stitches . Doing less froggin but I know that can change at any givin moment! My goal is to one day make this 'Seattle Bound Vest' I saw it in this Basic Knitting book I just got , and I love the look and color. Maybe after a couple 100 scarfs ,I'll be ready for something like that.!

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #40
geminifiend
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to geminifiend
Hi, I'm new too. First time I tried I was increasing 1 stitch every other row or more because I was excited and wanted to finish it. What I did was knit slower first and count every stitches in every row until I didn't make any more extra stitches. But i like the idea of putting a marker. The tip of my finger was also hurting I think it has a callus already.. Thanks to all your advices too!

geminifiend is offline   Reply With Quote