Old 06-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
njknitter
Knitting the Flap

I also agree with Jan's suggestions, especially Janet Evanovich (start with "One for the Money"). If you find them on tape, they are NOT NOT NOT for when the kids are around!!

I also like Linda Fairstein and David Baldacci for the mystery category. And for a truly unique historical fiction book, check out One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

Happy reading/listening!

Lynn
5 baby blankets; 2 afghans; 1 large afghan for large brother-in-law; 4 scarves; 4 toddler sweaters; 6 simple teddy bears; This teddy bear and 4 others from the book; 1 monkey; 1 tank top/cardigan set; 1 cape; 1 shrug; 1 pair mittens; 2 pairs socks; 2 pairs felted clogs; 1 hat; lace edged tank, Vitadini Lace Yoked Top

Currently working on: scarf for sis
njknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Stonington
I love this site! It is so diverse! I love to read too, addicted you could say. We moved this weekend and I panicked because I could not find my current read amongst the boxes. DH suggested taking a ride right then to the local used book store.. abandoning our unpacking lol - he is so understanding! Currently I am reading "The Magician's Assistant" by ann patchet. It is very good.... I read just about any genre'. Enjoy - mysteries, historical fiction, series--Diana Gabaldon , James Patterson, Nicholas Sparks, Jonathan Kellerman... too many to list. Thanks for starting this Lindsey H!

anne
sebago, ME
On the Hook:

Shawl
Reading:
"Echo in Bone" by Dianna Gabaldon
Listening in the Car:
"Though Not Dead: Kate Shugak Series Book 18" byDana Stabenow
Stonington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #13
newamy
Working the Gusset

Oh I love to read... But knitting does interfere. A very good series- which if you chose to listen to on tape is appropriate for all ears is the the Number 1 Lady's Detective agency. I think there are now 6 books in the series and they are by Alexancer McCall Smith. They are set in Botswana. The stories are simple yet touch on what is really important in life. They are quick enough reads that you might be able to make time to actually read them instead of listening.

I love the already mentioned Sue Grafton and Janet Evonovich. Carloyn Hart's Death on Demand books are really good and is now quite an extensive series. I like April Henry as well. Her first mystery was Circles of Confusion. Followed by Square in the Face, Heart shaped box and Buried Diamonds---shape themed titles. She has some stand alone books as well.

If you really are addicted to reading I will suggest the following web site: www.bookcrossing.com Where there are loads of on line book discussions and you can find out where to find books in your commnity that have been released and are now "free".

Happy reading

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #14
Celine
Turning the Heel

Books?
I love to read but I must confess that the ONLY books I've been buying and reading lately are books about knitting!! :XX: :XX:

My favorite author is/was Catherine Cookson. She's was from England and I LOVE most all of her books and I have every single one of them.

I also enjoyed reading books by Wilkie Collins and Anthony Trollope. I admit they have been dead for over a hundred years but their books are victorian stories and really held my interest. I have almost every single one of both of their's too. Need I say I need a library room.

I may have to look into "listening" to books now that I don't seem to read any lately. Do you get them from the library or buy them?? I really have no idea about them.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #15
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
You should also try reading Laurie R. King. The Beekeeper's Apprentice is the first in that series. I her.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #16
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Re: Books?
Originally Posted by Celine
I may have to look into "listening" to books now that I don't seem to read any lately. Do you get them from the library or buy them?? I really have no idea about them.
My local library has TONS of them - on tape or CD. There is really no way I could ever finish listening to all of them. It's so nice to be able to check them out for free!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:51 PM   #17
KatyKoolkat
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to KatyKoolkat
I loved the info about 'One Thousand White Women', and the author, Jim Fergus has written another one here . Happy reading!!
KatyKoolkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #18
JLC
Instepping Out

I also love Sue Grafton. I'm patiently (well, not really) waiting for my library to get the latest one in. If they don't get it soon, I'll have to buy it. Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson, and Faye Kellerman are some of my other favorites. Right now I'm reading all the JD Robb books - I love them. I haven't tried the Janet Evanovitch books yet, mostly because I absolutely can not read series out of order and my library doesn't have the first few books.
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #19
NinaT
Knitting the Flap

I love the books you just mentionned! I haven't tried the JD Robb books yet but I'm going to request some from the library today. I LOVE the Janet Evanovich books! I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard at a book before. I also like the Diane Mott Davidson series and also Earlene Fowler.

Finished: Socks for DS
Hexagon Purse

On Deck: Beret from Gathering of Lace
NinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #20
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
I haven't had time to get through the entire thread here, but I had to throw in my favorites, too.

Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Pope Joan by Donna Cross

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand

A Wrinkle in Time (and the rest of this series) by Madeleine L'Engle

And I think that's it for now. I *loved* the Mitford Series, btw!!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote