Old 06-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Julie
Instepping Out

Handmade Soap
Is soapmaking considered a craft?

I have a friend who started her own handmade soap business last year! I've used several varieties of the soap and I've smelled most of it ... :D ... everyone at my house heartily recommends it! Even DH! (addicted to the Rosemary Mint soap, lol)

www.wildlyluckysoap.com

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-29-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Yummy...I love handmade soaps, u don't get all of those skin drying chemicals like with store bought soap.
I use a French green tea soap....love, love...for the life of me I can't remember the correct name of it :rollseyes:

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

I highly recommend homemade soap for anyone who has trouble with dry, scaly, skin. My dd suffered, and I do mean suffered, for years with painfully dry skin on the backs of her hands. Sometimes it would crack and bleed. :( We tried every lotion, over the counter, as well as doctor prescribed ones.

It cleared up after my family's switch to homemade soap, but we hadn't realized that's what did it until my dd went to spend two weeks with an aunt, who only had regular commercially prepared soap on hand. Dd returned home with her hands cracked and dry again. After a few days home, they were once again healed. The only time it ever flares up now is if she travels and forgets to take her homeade soap. I now send it to her where she's living in Germany. :D

I believe God heals, both supernaturally, as well as through the wisdom He gives us!
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:23 AM   #4
IndianPrincessSIP
Knitting the Flap

Thank you for posting this Julie.
I'm a vegetarian and while there are now more options for vegan/vegetarian products than when I found out three years ago that the main ingredient in most commercial soaps was tallow, I still am always looking for options.

I would to try my hand at making my own someday as well.

:D
IndianPrincessSIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Mumsy doodles
Casting On

handmade soap
My dh and I made our own all vegetable soap for quite a while. We gave it as gifts with handmade canedles. Everyone loved it. We bought stuff from several online warehouses--essential oils, large buckets of coconut and palm oil, even vegetable coloring. I would definitley say it is a craft (and a chemistry experiment all in one). It is fun (but not for the little kids). You do still use lye, so it can be caustic and dangerous in the wrong hands. If you want to make glycerine soaps, there are kits for kids (I don't think they use lye--I've never made glycerin soap)

I making soap and experimenting with different scent combinations.

Jen
Old 07-06-2006, 02:36 AM   #6
IndianPrincessSIP
Knitting the Flap

ok I spent a bit of time googling soap making, and from what I can see it seems pretty darn complicated. I am a cook though so that must count for something. But I am Not a Chemist! Honestly I think knitting up a few wash clothes and making your own soap to go with it as gifts is a wonderful idea, but where o where to find the time? In the meantime I think I'll stick to the knit. (and try out some soaps from Wildy Lucky Soaps.

Unless I happen on one of those books (and there seems to be a lot of them!) I'm seeing out there on Making Soap~

:D
IndianPrincessSIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Just went to the site and everything sounds so yummy. Do these work well as facial soaps? I have yet to find a facial cleanser that doesn't dry out my skin.
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
Julie
Instepping Out

I haven't used them on my face yet -- but I asked Tiffani (one of the soap makers) and I will let you know what she says. :D
Old 07-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,744 Times in 7,115 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie
I haven't used them on my face yet -- but I asked Tiffani (one of the soap makers) and I will let you know what she says. :D
I'll be waiting for the answer, too. A homemade soap with a facecloth would make a nice gift.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Julie
Instepping Out

Here is her response! :D

Quote:
All our soaps are made with non-comedogenic oils, but some of the better facial soaps have these ingredients: Lavender (calming to any 'inflamations') Rosemary (antibiotic & antiseptic, so it's a good deep cleaner) & the Honey Almond Oatmeal is my personal soap for faces.