Old 07-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
Lindsey H
Knitting the Flap

Has this ever happened to you???
When I was finishing a sock the other night I was using my right index finger to push the left needle through the sititch as I always seem to do. I try not to do this but now I have a callous on my finger. For some reason the other night when I would push the needle through, the needle (size 1 Inox circs)kept missing the callous. I actually got chills when it happened. Well apparently I did it enough times to actually make a small hole in my finger and it started bleeding :crying: . I put on a band-aid so I could finish the sock though . Now it looks like I have an even larger knitting callous :rollseyes: .

For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential. -- Hans Asperger
Lindsey H is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Angelia

Ouchie!

Those small needles are like pins on the ends, and they HURT! I've never broken the skin with them, but I have had my right index finger get so sore that I couldn't knit comfortably for awhile. I tried using a bandaid as a pad, but that didn't really help the soreness. I had to use my middle finger for awhile until the soreness went away. It was awkward, but effective.

I try now not to use my forefinger so much. I slide the stiches off with my thumb when I can.

I hope you heal soon!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

Hugs for you and yes, it has happened to me too. I guess it's just a way to teach us to do something differently.
Nikki
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I've had that happen. It showed me how consistent I was with each stitch because I managed to hit that same sore spot exactly over and over. :rollseyes: I used a bandaid, too, for padding. I don't remember what brand 1's I was using, but when I replaced them with Addis--I couldn't stand it anymore--it wasn't as much of a problem because of the difference in the tips.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

I JUST did this. I have a callous that developed over time from my denises and my bamboo needles. I just got the Knit Picks Options and thoses are POINTY! At first I was fine....But they eventually poked a hole through the callous. I can't believe I hit the exact same spot every time! Now i am using a bandaid to cushion it while trying to work on getting out of the habit of pushing the needle back with my finger.
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
horve1
Turning the Heel

Is this an English style thing? I can't even picture how it would happen.
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by horve1
Is this an English style thing? I can't even picture how it would happen.
I don't think so because I am learning conti and I do it then too (unless I am just weird...which is always a possibility.) After knitting/purling the stitch many knitters will push the left hand needle with the finger to pop the stitch off the needle.
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I do knit English. When I go to pull the loop through, I guide the right needle through with my left index finger. That's where the pokes go.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #9
mulene
Working the Gusset

I do the pushing of the needle thing - I notice I use my left index finger to push in a funny way and the right one seems to push the needle tip. I tried to stop doing the needle tip pushing but my left finger has a mind of its own. My knuckle has started to hurt from the pushing - I think I should revisit how I hold the yarn

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
As a newbie, I thought this was just me.. I went and bought (don't lol too loud) cushioned corn pads to use when knitting.. They are soft, and act like a cushion. I tried a quilters thimble once, and it worked ok.. Then, I tried to hold the yarn differently and that helped a bit. really just trial & error.. mostly error w/ me..lol

:XX:
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote