Old 07-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #21
AidanM
Turning the Heel

Or cry and scream and throw ourselves upon a pile of DPN's hoping for a fatal puncture wound while we curse the designer or the publication for the errata in their patterns all the time flailing about for that last ball of yarn for the sleeve which you're realizing is too long and your first pair of socks are tripping you up because you'd forgotten to swatch and they're about six sizes too big and in the middle of it all your family goes "You don't have to knit, you know. No one's forcing you." and you look at them with your tear-streaked face creased in puzzlement and say, "Are you crazy? I love this!"

I'm realizing that I picked up that DPN thing from Yarn Harlot. XD I've also started saying "For the love of wool." Oh my.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #22
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #23
knitwit
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to knitwit
Here's my faveorite -
Picture this, me holding up knitted item triumphantly (usually at the office) and someone says "Wow, you really need a hobby".
Helloooooooooooooooooooooo
This IS my HOBBY!
Sheesh
knitwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:13 AM   #24
cozy
Knitting the Flap

I am so glad I don't deal with people like this--I think I'd be really irritated. So far, my family has been extremely supportive & I've taught 3 relatives to knit since I learned.

Knitting Addict since November '03
cozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:22 AM   #25
mulene
Working the Gusset

My boss has taken to calling me Granny Geraghty. He belittles me a lot and thinks I have gone mad. Frankly I'm beyond caring. Several years ago I lost (or got rid of) all of my friends. Yep ALL. I was in financial difficulty and going through a very rough time with that and my fathers failing health in the last year of his life before he died of cancer.

During that time, quite frankly, I found out who my real friends were. You know who they turned out to be? The money in my pocket and my mother.

My mother regularly tells me that when she is gone all I will have is the money in my pocket and that I should look after it.

I find it difficult to make friends, I'm pretty shy and that can come across as aloof. I can also oddly be quite vocal when something rises the passions (politics I should certainly avoid!).

When I finished bombshell I showed my boss a pic - he was stunned that my grannyesque activity created something that looked pretty good on me (even if I say so myself!). He hasn't commented so much on calling me Granny anymore. He still belittles me over other things and I usually fire back with some acidic sarcasm that puts him in his place.

My other colleagues all detest me anyway, so when they opine on me they will always criticise no matter what I do - good or bad they will always find fault with it.

I think how you handled it was brilliant - you clearly showed how she would feel were someone to do the same thing to her in relation to her own craft of writing. If that doesn't get through to her and she comments like that again, when she next "conquers" some writing block repeat exactly what she said to you "it's not a mountain" and that will get the message across.

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #26
mulene
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by carolina red
What bugs me is when someone says, "Hey, that's nice. Will you make one for me?" Then I say, "I will if you buy the yarn and pay me for my time." Then, they wrinkle up their nose and say, "Never mind." :rollseyes:
haha my boss is insistent that I knit him something. I've suggested paying me for the time and buying the yarn and amazingly he has become silent on the topic

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote