Old 08-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

do you ever knit at church or other places of worship?
I began knitting at church about 1 month ago because it relaxes me soooo very much. I asked the pastor and he said he didn't mind.However, I still feel a little bit uncomfortable because I feel like people are watching me...
anyone else knit there too?
aineepooh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
knitaddict
Turning the Heel

I don't only because I know that my attention would be more on my knitting and less on the sermon. I have a hard time walking and chewing gum so I doubt I'd be able to do that. If you've asked the pastor and he doesn't mind, then I say go for it.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
itsbecca1979
Knitting the Flap

Not during Sunday service I don't...however when they had a kids' crusade I did.

Wife to Jerm 11/21/97
Mommy to
Rachelle~8
Issac~6
Ethan~4
Lucas~1

OTN: Wool longies for Lucas
Urban Whatever Hat
itsbecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
My mom's the minister and I knit during her sermons. It works for the same reason that knitting during a lecture class works for me--it occupies that part of my mind that wanders away from the topic, allowing me to focus. I agree with your pastor. knit away, and don't worry about everyone else!

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
Renoah
1st Leg of the Journey

Even when I'm not singing in the choir, there's too much activity in our liturgy- sit down, stand up, find the hymn, read responsively, etc- for me to knit, at least without dropping a needle or making some really bad mistakes. I have often wondered whether knitting a sock or something would help me pay more attention to the sermon, though- I tend to listen for the first 5 minutes, then grab an idea and wander off thinking about it... The idea feels kind of wrong, though, even though I know my pastor wouldn't mind. (She's a knitter, too. )
Old 08-18-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
I don't do church. Though I'm sure anyone would prefer to see you knit during church than sleep. I used to see a LOT of that!

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
jessi_9783
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to jessi_9783
I knit every Sunday in church. My paster doesn't mind at all. He says I'm the only person he knows for sure is paying attention. I guess it also helps that i'm his assistant so he sees/talks to me more than the other members of the church.
jessi_9783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Do you look up and knit? I don't know if I could do it. Unless I'm straight knitting I still need to look at my work. I watch Movies/TV and still follow so I guess it wouldn't be much different. But I think I'd feel weird. We moved to a very, how do I say this, "conformed" church. Lots of older folks set in their ways. We were introduced as the youngest in the church!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #9
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

No. I am pretty sure my pastor wouldn't like it and since I work for the church...that makes him my boss.

But even more importantly that, God is an important part of my life and I want to be focused on Him during service. I just feel it is inappropriate.
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
Pink Dandelion
Knitting the Flap

I have knit in church before, it's always something small I can keep in my lap and really mindless that just keeps my hands busy. I've never had anyone in my church consider it rude or disrespectfull of either God or the preacher. Usually I'm only met with friendly questions about what I'm working on and smiles when anyone notices. I'm sure this has to do with your church and the people at it though. But If I felt it bothered them I wouldn't knit. During worship there's too much going on - prayers to stop for, hyms to find in the hymnal etc., but during the lesson I knit to to keep my mind from wandering. I've found I actually pay MUCH better attention and my mind actually stays on track.

I'm PinkDandelion at Ravelry!
Pink Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote