Old 10-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

SWEATER TALK how do you like your sleeves esp at wrists?
Not sure where to post this. I'm working on my first (well 2nd but the other one was over 10 years ago) sweater.

I would love to see some talk on sweater experience. Like what kind of sleeves you prefer, mistakes you made. But right now the question is,

I'm just casting on for the sleeves. This is a sweater in Vogue Knitting Fall #20 cowl neck sweater on page 130. So far it looks pretty good. But! I have really really slim wrists. They say to cast on 58 stitches.
It's ribbed. It looks really BIG for me. But I'm not sure.

Have you found your wrist size? Do you deviate from the pattern and just make your sleeves however tight you want them? Would this be too dangerous! for a newbie to sweaters???

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-20-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I have pretty thin wrists, too, but usually follow the pattern. I prefer ribbing at the wrists and have changed patterns to that, but it always looks like it will be so much bigger than it is. It never ceases to amaze me how large sleeves are. As I'm knitting them I think that they'll fit Mr. T in his heyday, but they end up being just right. All my sweaters are worn over something else, though, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I also like them to be a little loose.

If you want your sleeve bottoms to be smaller, make them smaller. The only consideration is really at the top where they have to fit onto the sweater body.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

like they'll fit Mr. T in his heyday.... oh my god I just remembered him.

That's funny Ingrid.... also you're saying they look too big all the time coz that's exactly what I've been thinking. I went back and looked at the pattern and the sleeves on the model look great. I'm a needle size down anyway so I think I will stick with the pattern, think that's very good advice actually.

(oh and I forgot about wearing it over a shirt! duh)

Later on ( when I get to my 50th sweater) I can do all sorts of things but for now....

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Victoise
This is getting OT, but he apparently has a brand new reality show. I think it's on TV Land.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Being a little shorty girl, my biggest thing is I like my sleeves to FIT! Most things I buy in a store do not fit. That is one of the reasons I love to knit sweaters for myself. I often change the length. But that is about it. I also like ribbing, although I am jonesing to make something with bell sleeves.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
Originally Posted by Victoise
This is getting OT, but he apparently has a brand new reality show. I think it's on TV Land.
Pity the Fool Somehow I don't think it'll be real exciting, since the ad I've seen has him harrassing a woman with more than 12 things on the Express Lane at the supermarket.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote