Old 11-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
tmsl
1st Leg of the Journey

? on washing a throw with different yarns
I have a throw that has a bunch (maybe 8 ) of different yarns in it. Some is mohair, alpaca, eyelash, and wool. I really need to wash this and was considering a cool delicate cycle or hand wash. Does anyone have any suggestions before I attempt this? What type of soap should I use? We normally use Tide Free for our regular laundry, but wasn't sure if that would be too harsh for the yarns.

Thanks!!

Laura

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Don't throw it in the washing machine. The most prudent thing to do would be to look at the care instructions of each yarn you used and go with the gentlest method. This will probably be handwash, although it's possible that one will require dry cleaning in which case you should probably take all the labels with you to the cleaners to make sure they use a method that's safe for all of the yarns (there are different methods of dry cleaning). What colors did you use? I might be worried about bleeding if you have light and dark colors together.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

To be safe. Fill washer with hot water, add soap and agitate. Put item in washer and push down gently. Let soak until water is cool. Spin out. DO NOT AGITATE! Take item out. Fill washer with hot water and 1 cup white vinegar. Agitate for a second or two. Put item in washer and push down gently. Let soak until water is cool. Spin out. Do not agitate. Lay flat to dry.

This procedure will protect even the most delicate yarns.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
losnana
Working the Gusset

Can you really wash those yarns in hot water without any shrinkage ? I'd be petrified .
Old 11-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

WHat about washing (acutally more soaking) in the bathtub with some wool wash like Eucalan?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by losnana
Can you really wash those yarns in hot water without any shrinkage ? I'd be petrified .
Hot water doesn't shrink yarn. Agitation, change of water temp and change of pH felts yarn or fulls wool fabric. Soaking in hot water cleans it.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I think you should still check all the ball bands to make sure none are dry clean only. I saw some alpaca recently that was -- I'm not sure why, but why risk it? Better to be cautious, you know?

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote