Old 11-07-2006, 11:33 PM   #1
KnittyKitty
Knitting the Flap

Joining to knit in the round after knitting back & front
I'm working on the crest of the wave tank and for some reason I'm having difficulty at the joining for the body portion. I actually thought I had it correct but as I continued to knit, I realised the pattern was forming on the wrong side instead of on the right side.

Ok, here's part of the story... for the upper back and front you knit back and forth as opposed to knitting in the round. Now its time to join the upper portion at the armpits and when I join and begin to knit in the round the pattern is forming on the wrong side of the work instead of on the right side. The last four rows I have for the upper portion before joining to knit in the round are all knit rows. So I knit across, turn the work, and knit across and then do this two more times for a total of 4 rows. Then the pattern starts back after joining with knit rows and then a purl row and then the lace row in there. But instead of the lace pattern showing on the right side its showing on the wrong side. Can you picture it? I would really appreciate some help as I've tinked back just before the join about 4 times now.

Here's the pattern row that starts right after the join (keep in mind the last 4 rows before the join will be all knit rows)

Crest of The Wave II, Opaque (mltpl 14) (for rounds)
Rnds 1 & 3: k
Rnd 2: p
Rnds 4, 6, 8, 10, 12: *(k2tog)x2, yo, k1-f&b, k1, k1-f&b, yo, (k2tog-tbl)x2, k3, rep from * to end of round.
Rnds 5, 7, 9, 11: knit

Thanks for any help!

Lisa
KnittyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-07-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I think you're probably holding your needles in such a way that you are knitting on the inside rather than the outside. The first 3 rows after joining you wouldn't notice because you are doing knit 1 round, purl 1 round, knit 1 round....when working in the round this type of pattern forms garter stitch which is the same as your previous 4 rows of knitting all stitches, back and forth.

The problem comes with the next row. Take a look at how you're holding your needles. You need to be holding the two needle ends of your circ closest to you with the right side of the work facing you. I think you're probably holding the two needle ends away from you (ie. with the cable of the circ and all the knitting between the needles and your body), therefore you are knitting on the inside of the tube rather than the outside.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
KnittyKitty
Knitting the Flap

Hi Knitqueen,

Thanks for being up and offering some help! I will try it and see if it goes any better! Going to try now...
Old 11-08-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
KnittyKitty
Knitting the Flap

Hi Knitqueen!

It worked. Thanks so much! I think one of my issues was that where the working yarn ended for me to join in the round, it would have been in my left hand as opposed to my right, so I just turned it around so that I could knit in the round thereby ending up in my predicament.

Thanks so much!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote