Old 11-20-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
MilkyMama
Ribbing the Cuff

Snail Spiral Hat - Knitting w/o Tears - lots of questions
Okay, why does this seem to be tiny, no matter what I do? I got my gauge to be right on to her instructions (7 stitches to 3" on US 10 1/2). I'm using 4 strands of yarn to do so.

I found a pict on line and the poster seems to show the hat coming out like mine - way too tight to work. http://zimmermaniacs.blogspot.com/20...s_archive.html ( you have to scroll way down to see it)

And I found this correction (by her daughter) later down on the same page. It changes the hat to a 3 spiral (from a 5).

Quote:

Spiral/Snail Hat

Several of you have mentioned knitting EZ's Snail Hat and I must alert you that there is a mistake in my instructions in The Opinionated Knitter (not ma's fault!).

Elizabeth's original directions (on page 94) were for a 5-Spiral hat which rather copped out during the decreases; lost its edge. She later re-designed it to a 3-Spiral that retains the sharp M1 edge, through the decreases, to the top. The instructions for the 3-Spiral are on page 96.
In the R-hand column, 7th row down, please correct your copy to read:

(P1, P2tog twice, K15, M1) 3 times

NOT K13 as written.
With apologies,
Meg
OKAY then! So I guess I need to rip mine out, since I'm several inches from the top of the original 5 spiral and it looks poopy, not loose enough to avoid the spirals flattening and I'm running out of yarn. Ugh.

So, can I use a thinner yarn, smaller needles and just increase the pattern over all? If it's repeats of 15, can I just cast on more? Like the original is cast on 50 increase to 75 (pattern is worked in repeats of 15) So could I cast on 60 and increase to 90? Would that work?

And how come this hat comes out so small even when worked in gauge? I just don't get that!?

And why is the first 5 rows worked straight and then joined later? Is that her professed hatred of purling? I don't want to screw it up more than I already have, LOL!

Thanks for reading this long and somewhat repetitive question!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
You should post this under the "How To" section for more results:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...wforum.php?f=6
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
MilkyMama
Ribbing the Cuff

Okay, thanks. I thought b/c it was about a particular pattern....

I'll repost.