Old 11-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
cookworm
Working the Gusset

OT - Christmas gift for someone you don't know very well
Help! My brother-in-law is dating a woman and since we live out of town, we just got to meet her recently. We don't know her at all, really, and with Christmas coming, we need to try to figure out a gift for her. I would like to buy her something nice but not spend a ton of money because (not to sound cheap or mean) I'm not sure how serious this relationship is.

Any suggestions for a nice meaningful gift that isn't too expensive? Also, she's 28. What do 28 year olds like these days?

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

You could make her a little ipod cozy.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Lotion or candles, or if you want something a bit nicer, a gift basket from a lotion or candle store. Lotion can be iffy if she's allergic to scents (I always get all my mom's lotion. )

Or a pretty scarf that's mainstream--from a common store, so that she can return it on the sly if she doesn't like it. (Same with the lotions and candles.) And gift receipts are always good for people you don't know that well. I wouldn't knit a scarf because if she doesn't like it, she's stuck with it, and you spent all that time on something she doesn't like.

Good luck!

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
I'm 23 and would vote for candles or lotions or , oo you could get her a gift card to a local spa? Most places will give you a gift receipt, esp if you ask for it.
Maybe a nice house plant or a picture frame she could put his pic in for work or whatever.
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
jodstr2
Instepping Out

I vote for a gift card. I love gift cards.

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by jodstr2
I vote for a gift card. I love gift cards.
Me, too, but then you have the whole, "Where does she like to shop?" thing, unless you go for something really useful (but then less "nice.")

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
jodstr2
Instepping Out

true. I was just thinking the same thing. maybe cookworm can ask her brother-in-law where she likes to shop?

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Re: OT - Christmas gift for someone you don't know very well
Originally Posted by cookworm
I'm not sure how serious this relationship is.

I think you ought to buy her a few books. "Planning the perfect wedding in 10 days or less" and "Raising perfect children". Then you'd find out how serious the relationship is.....

CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
nonny2t
Instepping Out

I would go with a Visa gift card. She can spend that pretty much anywhere and buy what she wants. I was going to agree with the others and say candles also, but if she is like my dd, who has allergies, scents of any kind start her sneezing. You can get the gift cards usually at your center court of your mall or almost all banks handle them. Check with your own bank, you may be able to get one for free. My bank charges $2 for up to $500 I think it is. She will love being able to pick out exactly what she wants, or add it to what she is saving for. It is the only thing my dh ever wants for Christmas.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #10
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

The gift card idea seems to be very popular. She said she didn't want to spend much, though, which makes me wonder whether it would be worthwhile if the amount is small. I'm still going to lobby for the ipod cozy idea (doesn't necessarily have to be used that way) because it'd cost next to nothing if she used stash or leftover yarn -- and the time it would take her to knit it would probably be less than driving to the store to buy something. Plus, it's personal and hand-made. JMO.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote