Old 12-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
hally17
Casting On

Question re double cast on
Hello,
Im getting myself confused about the double (long tail) cast on, in the video it says it creates an already knitted edge, does this mean I count it as the first row?. I know normally the cast on row would not be counted as a row, but with the double cast on, if the pattern says for eg. cast on 10 stitches then knit 24 rows would I instead cast on the 10 stitches and then knit 23 rows?
Can anyone help please!!
Thanks
Nicola
hally17 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I don't do that. I count the cast on as just that. Row 1 of my pattern is the first row that I actually knit. So if it says 24 rows I'd still do 24 rows. But really either way, one row over the course of an entire project will not make much, if any difference at all.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Some people count it as a row, others don't. I count it as my first knit row and start with a WS (purl) row after I cast on. If you look at it closely, you will see that the back and front of the cast on look a little different. See which one you like better, and use that as your right side. That is what Vogue Knitting says to do, and I agree with them.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's a cast on, not a row.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by suzeeq
It's a cast on, not a row.

sue
Oh no. We're not going to resurrect that argument again, are we? I really believe that there is no wrong way to knit, and this one of those issues that not everyone agrees on. To present your opinion as fact presumes there's only one way to look at it, and I don't think it's fair to the OP not to reflect both sides, especially since a lot of books (and our very own Amy) suggest starting with a wrong side row. Whether you count it as a row or not, the two sides look very different. Why not choose the one you like better to be the "right side"?

Of course, if you don't want to count the c/o as a row but don't happen to like the purl side of the c/o being on the "right side" of the work, you can use the other version of long-tail which puts the purl bumps on the other side. I learned it recently and like it a lot. That way I can start with my first right side row and have the c/o edge I like in the front. Pretty groovy, huh?

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 12-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
hally17
Casting On

Thank you all for your replies, from what you say it doesn't matter too much either way if you count it as a row or not, just personal choice I suppose.
In the teddy bear pattern I'm knitting ( very slowly!!) I didn't count it as a row so Teddy will just have fractionally longer legs!, wish I could get longer legs so easily
Nicola
hally17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Well I'm sorry if I came off as blunt, but that's me at times. I had no intention of starting anything, which was why I didn't say anything else. It's called a cast on and many people don't count it as a row at any time. So it's a cast on. One of several methods.

sue
Old 12-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Well I'm sorry if I came off as blunt, but that's me at times. I had no intention of starting anything, which was why I didn't say anything else.
No big deal. I know you didn't intend to start anything -- it just bugged me that it was stated as fact rather than opinion.

It's called a cast on and many people don't count it as a row at any time.
A lot do, though. Just wanted to clarify that. I really have no opinion whether it should be counted as a row or not -- I just happen to like the way one side looks better than the other so the first row I do after the cast on is a usually a wrong-side row.

Anyway... If anyone wants to try the other way of doing long-tail that makes the purl bumps on the opposite side, I found a site that has pictures. Alternating the knit and purl versions of the cast-on works amazingly well for ribbing -- if you look at the close-up picture given in the link, the cast-on blends right into the rest of the fabric. Looks better than tubular cast-on for 2x2 rib, IMO.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:24 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Wow, that's an interesting way of doing it, and I'm sure I'd get all tangled up. I can't even do a proper long tail cast on, I have to do the yarnover like a knit stitch. I think that's called the thumb cast on.

sue
Old 12-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

This is so cool! I just found this nifty little article about long-tail cast-on that has great pictures showing the two different sides. What's interesting is that she says that she likes using each as the "right side" in different instances -- she likes the purl-side (the one Sue likes) for free-standing edges because it lies flatter, and she likes likes the knit-side (the one I like) for edges that will later be sewn because it's easier to seam. Good to know. She also has a tip for casting on without having to estimate how much tail you need. (You may have seen that one before, but if you haven't, it's a clever idea.)

The one thing I disagree with was her assessment that alternating the knit and purl versions of long-tail cast-on (for ribbing) is difficult and takes a long time. Once you figure it out, it doesn't take any longer than just doing the knit version. The motions are very similar.