Old 12-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
bebeboy106
Casting On

Pattern for first project....maybe a scarf?
I'm looking for a nice easy, simple pattern for my first project that would give me some knitting confidence. I just started watching the how-to videos a couple nights ago, and think I have the basics down well enough to start a project. I'm thinking about starting with a scarf since it's nice and wintery out!

Thanks! Also, if you know of any simple patterns for baby afghans could you post them as well. I would love to knit my 10 month old son an afghan.

Thank you so much,
Carrie
bebeboy106 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

First of all here's a great pattern site to bookmark. The search feature is helpful, too. When looking through a section look for terms like "simple, easy and beginner" to help guide you right now.
Knitting Pattern Central

This is a good one to start with and makes a nice soft fabric.
Scrunchable Scarf

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
Bunny
Casting On

what a nice pattern! I think I will try it too

Just not sure what cast on an extra stitch at each end for the selvedge means - does this mean you do a chain stitch selvedge or something and then start the pattern or does the pattern include the extra stitches?
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Chrissie
Knitting the Flap

If you want to do a first scarf, I think you should try doing a 2x2 ribbed scarf. You will get to practice ribs and purls, and the finished scarf will be very warm and cozy.

Cast on a multiple of 4 stitches and knit 2, purl 2 across the row. turn work, and knit 2, purl 2. across.
Tuscany from NSFY in Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool - it's working up beautifully.
Montego Bay Scarf from Summer 07 IK Knits in Sea Silk - an indulgent knit
Chrissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
sewinhotmama23
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Chrissie
If you want to do a first scarf, I think you should try doing a 2x2 ribbed scarf. You will get to practice ribs and purls, and the finished scarf will be very warm and cozy.

Cast on a multiple of 4 stitches and knit 2, purl 2 across the row. turn work, and knit 2, purl 2. across.
this was my first scarf project also. Its a really a nice looking finish instead of just stockinette. I have a book that tought me to knit called
" the easiest how to knit book ever" and it had the needles, chrochet hook and 3 skeins of yarn, plus all the patterns were written out instead of abbreviated. It has a patter for a scarf, a hat, a change purse, a cell phone holder( SO CUTE) and really cute purse.

Ive made all of them, and they are SUPER simple! I got mine from BAM.
sewinhotmama23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
bebeboy106
Casting On

Thanks so much! I've started a knit one, purl one pattern scarf and so far so good. I tried to do the scrunchable scarf but it was looking awful, so I may try that after this one is finished. The yard is pretty bulky so the scarf is quite chunky, but I think it will be alright. Good enough for a first timer at least!

Thanks again!
bebeboy106 is offline   Reply With Quote