Old 12-20-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
cookworm
Working the Gusset

"Break" yarn?
This probably isn't a really technical question, but can anybody tell me why all the patterns I read specifically say to break the yarn when you're at a point to be finished with the product and weave in ends (as opposed to cutting the yarn)? Does breaking the yarn make a difference somehow to cutting it?

Also, I lost ANOTHER knitting needle somewhere in the house, and I'm LIVID!!!!!!! This is the second needle I lost (the first one was a straight--the first pair of knitting needles I bought for myself--and the second is a set of circulars; both are bamboo...is there a pattern here???) Does anybody else lose needles, or is it just me? I'm so bummed--I needed that circular to finish my hat, and now I can't! I feel like I'm losing my mind! I've looked everywhere I can think of, but no luck.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-20-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Sorry about the lost knitting needle.

As far as I know, "break yarn" and "cut yarn" are one and the same.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
madametj
Working the Gusset

Re: "Break" yarn?
Originally Posted by cookworm
This probably isn't a really technical question, but can anybody tell me why all the patterns I read specifically say to break the yarn when you're at a point to be finished with the product and weave in ends (as opposed to cutting the yarn)? Does breaking the yarn make a difference somehow to cutting it?

Also, I lost ANOTHER knitting needle somewhere in the house, and I'm LIVID!!!!!!! This is the second needle I lost (the first one was a straight--the first pair of knitting needles I bought for myself--and the second is a set of circulars; both are bamboo...is there a pattern here???) Does anybody else lose needles, or is it just me? I'm so bummed--I needed that circular to finish my hat, and now I can't! I feel like I'm losing my mind! I've looked everywhere I can think of, but no luck.
i've lost needles several times, but always seem to find them. one time in particular i can remember, the needle was missing for weeks, and i discovered a hole in the couch under the cushion. reaching my hand deep into the hole, i found the needle among the springs

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Re: "Break" yarn?
Originally Posted by cookworm
No, there's no difference. Maybe it goes back to the days when scissors weren't handy. Or it's just an old fashioned term -like break off, `Meaning: Break a piece from something', `come to an end' or "become separated into pieces or fragments"

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
JudyD
Turning the Heel

I'm old enough ( ) to remember when knitters would grasp the yarn in each hand, pull hard in opposite directions, and break the yarn.

JudyD
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote