Old 12-31-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
itsjustmeghan
Knitting the Flap

getting circular cables to relax?
i'm trying my hand at doing a pair of socks doing the magic loop method, and my problem is my cable wants to curl up like it was when it was in the package. i tried running it under hot water and stretching it. (it was a trick they showed me at the lys..).but it didn't work...

so what do you do to get those cables to relax so they aren't curling all over the place?

itsjustmeghan on Ravelry
Stitch It!! Podcast
itsjustmeghan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-31-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
Mrs. Columbo

I had the same problem .... it seems to happen with all of them as I've bought four different ones ... Boye was the worst ... the guy at the yarn store said put your kettle on and put the cord over the steam, pulling it along .... it didn't cure it totally but it did help get some of the stiffness out.

Toby
Old 12-31-2006, 03:06 AM   #3
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Yeah that's really annoying. I have found that my stiff ones have relaxed quite a bit with time (though that doesn't help you now).

Of the four varieties I have: AddiTurbos are AWESOME and have never ever ever been stiff, the Susan Bates metal ones start out stiff but relax pretty quick, the Susan Bates plastic ones start stiff, stay stiff, I hate them and they never come out of my knitting bag! Oh and I have one random bamboo pair that's ehhh....

Seriously though, I've only got two pairs of AddiTurbos and I heart them very very much.
HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:10 AM   #4
five_six
Turning the Heel

i guess i'm a little 'rougher' with my circulars... i don't steam them, or warm them, i boil the little devils That is to say, i pour my boiling water into a bowl and then immerse the cables, takes all of a few seconds to see them relax.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
itsjustmeghan
Knitting the Flap

the boiling water worked wonderfully! and you're right! it's like the cables got a little massage, because as soon as they hit the water they just relaxed.
thank you so much for the advice! such helpful and clever people here! :D

back to my magic loop socks!

itsjustmeghan on Ravelry
Stitch It!! Podcast
itsjustmeghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Denise Interchangeables, Knitpicks Options and Addi Turbos do not curl at least in my limited experience of a year. I tried the hot water method for others and it just never seemed to work.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
leppardess
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to leppardess
Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Denise Interchangeables, Knitpicks Options and Addi Turbos do not curl at least in my limited experience of a year. I tried the hot water method for others and it just never seemed to work.
I've had this problem too and it's aggravating because I mostly use circs.

I'm going to give Addis a try... finally found a shop in my area that sells them. It's a little disheartening though... I just bought a bunch of circular needles (Susan Bates mostly but a few Clover bamboo circulars)
leppardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
losnana
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by five_six
i guess i'm a little 'rougher' with my circulars... i don't steam them, or warm them, i boil the little devils That is to say, i pour my boiling water into a bowl and then immerse the cables, takes all of a few seconds to see them relax.
That's what i do too. They still aren't completely straight, but they do relax enough to make it easier.