Old 12-31-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
cara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to cara
stitch marker question
Hi all,

I think that this question is so dumb, and the answer is probably staring me in the face...but I'm not getting it!

I'm starting my first pair of socks and right at the beginning it says to divide my cast on stitches to 4 needles and place a stitch marker between the 4th and 1st needle to mark the beginning of my round. Well, on a circular needle (for all the hats I've done) it is easy, but when I put it on the end of a dpn, it obviously just rolls right off. So I figured I would just stager my stitches by 1 stitch all the way around thus holding the marker on 1 stitch into the round...but that doesn 't work for the socks because of the heel shaping and where that lands on the 4 needles...tHey have to be divided evenly from the first stitch!

gosh I feel like I am complicating the simplest thing!!!!!!!!

Also, this sock pattern says to work the ankle however I want for the desired length (how high I want the socks)... I was thinking that K2 P2 rib would be a great way to do my first pair.. then maybe I'll get brave and do some cables or lace for my second? hehe.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-31-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
honestly i rarely use markers on DPNs unless they are going to be in the middle of the needle. To mark the beginning of the round I just use the tail.

k2p2 is a great way to go!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:39 AM   #3
five_six
Turning the Heel

yep the tail is the way to go - that's all i ever use, on straights, circs, whatever... also use it to tell me which is my right side.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #4
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

Cara -

I do use stitch markers when I use DPNs. What I do is just knit one stitch off the first needle and then place the marker and then continue knitting down the needle. Sure, it isn't on the first stitch, but now I know which needle is the first needle. When knitting socks the tail can get lost (for me!) so this helps me greatly!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #5
mshelton
1st Leg of the Journey

I also put the marker between the first and second stitch. But sometimes I use a minature clothesline paper clip or a binder paper clip to just mark needle one ( and if I'm counting rows)- I have to move the paper clip so I remember to change my row counter.
mshelton is offline   Reply With Quote