Old 01-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
LeeLee
Ribbing the Cuff

Errors on Pattern???
Oh Yikes! I'm working on the front of pattern http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/wi.../wisteria.html

Once again, this is my very first project, but I believe there are errors here. I emailed Berroco, but I'm not holding my breath. Wondering if I'm right and if anyone else out there knows how to get this right?

Quote:
FRONT
With smaller straight needles, cast on 158 sts. Work in ribbing same as back for 4, end on RS. Change to larger needles and p the next row, dec 30 sts across 128 sts.

Short Rows: Establish Twining Vine Pat: Row 1 (RS): K39, place marker, work Row 1 of Twining Vine Pat across next 50 sts, place marker, turn.

Row 2 (WS): Work Row 2 of Twining Vine pat across center 50 sts, p4, turn.

Row 3: K4, work Row 3 of Twining Vine pat across center 50 sts, k4, turn.
I don't think I should K4 at beginning of this short row. If I do, I over-shoot the amount of stitches, 128, when short rows are completed. Besides, if I add 4 stitches on each side, instead of just at the end as in all other rows, it'll look plain goofy.

Quote:
Continue in this manner with Twining Vine pat on center 50 sts and working 4 sts more each row before turning 8 times in all, then 3 sts once, and 2 sts twice until all 128 sts have been worked. Work 6(4-2) rows even in pat as established, end on WS.
On the back of sweater, I end up working 51 rows at this point, but on the front only 40. Does that huge difference seem correct before starting armholes on each side???

Quote:
Shape Raglan Armholes: Dec Row (RS): K2, k3tog, k to 1st marker, continue center 50 sts in Twining Vine pat, k to last 5 sts, SSSK, k2 118(126-134) sts. Rep this dec every 4th row 16(20-22) times more, then every 6th row 3(1-1) times 40 sts. Work even until piece measures 24 1/2(25-25 1/2) from beg when measured down center of piece, end on WS. Bind off.
On back, I did this same decrease, losing 4 stitches each decrease row - w at start and 2 and end. But as you'll see here, if I start with 128 stitches on the first row, how can I end with 126 (I'm making the medium)??

Then, doesn't this throw off the amount of rows I work over the decreases? I'm really worried that the back is going to be so off kilter from the front regarding armhole placement for this poncho type sweater.

I've completed the back, and and working the short rows on the front. I really hate to toss the project because of the pattern. Especially since it's the first one I've tried.

Since I've enjoyed so much amazing help out there to get me this far, I'm hoping someone can come thru again.

All my thanks,
Lee Lee
LeeLee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Re: Errors on Pattern???
Originally Posted by LeeLee
I don't think I should K4 at beginning of this short row. If I do, I over-shoot the amount of stitches, 128, when short rows are completed. Besides, if I add 4 stitches on each side, instead of just at the end as in all other rows, it'll look plain goofy.
Yes, I agree--that dosn't sound right to me, either.

On the back of sweater, I end up working 51 rows at this point, but on the front only 40. Does that huge difference seem correct before starting armholes on each side???
Hmmm...I don't quite understand *these* instructions myself:
Quote:
...then 3 sts once, and 2 sts twice until all 128 sts have been worked.
Do you? If you can make sense of that for me, then maybe I'll be able to understand the row count. But yes, if it really only is asking for 40 rows total, that would be a definite problem to match up with the back.

On back, I did this same decrease, losing 4 stitches each decrease row - w at start and 2 and end. But as you'll see here, if I start with 128 stitches on the first row, how can I end with 126 (I'm making the medium)??
Wow....that is weird. I would, if I were you, just make sure the shaping of my front mirrored what I did for the back. It sounds to me like you have the good sense to know when something doesn't jive...maybe someone who's made this sweater will have more input...? I'm going to look at the pattern now and see if I can make more sense of it!!
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Yeah, after looking at the pattern, I'm still confused. I wish I could help more!
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
LeeLee
Ribbing the Cuff

Extensive explanation of pattern mess
Much thanks for your input.

Kind of bummed that the very first pattern I attempt had errors. Yikes.

Quote:
...then 3 sts once, and 2 sts twice until all 128 sts have been worked
Quote:
Do you? If you can make sense of that for me, then maybe I'll be able to understand the row count. But yes, if it really only is asking for 40 rows total, that would be a definite problem to match up with the back.
This will be lengthy, but if you can assist, HUGE THANKS! If you can't, still HUGE THANKS for your kind time.

Trying to eventually work 128 sts once all short rows have been completed.

Short rows: Establish Twiing Vine Pat:
Row 1 (RS):
K39, place marker, work Row 1 of Twining Vne Pat across next 50 sts, place marker, turn.

Row 2 (WS):
Work Row 2 of Twining Vine pat across center 50 sts, P4, turn.

Row 3 (RS):
K4 (This seems odd adding K4 at start of row and end),
Work Row 3 of Twining Vine pat aross 50 sts, K4, turn.

Continue in this manner with Twining Vine pat on on center 50 sts and working 4 sts more each row before turning 8 times in all....

Turning 8 times in all would look like this:

R1: K39, Vine Pat 50 sts, Turn (89 sts worked) turn 1
R2: K & P facing sts, P4, turn (93 sts worked)turn 2
R3: K4, Vine Pat 50 sts, K4, Turn (101 sts worked)turn 3
R4: K & P facing, P4, turn (105 sts worked)turn 4
R5: Vine Pat 50 sts, K4, Turn (109 sts worked)turn 5
R6: K & P, P4, Turn (113 sts worked)turn 6
R7: Vine Pat 50 sts, K4, Turn (117 sts worked)turn 7
R8: K & P, P4, Turn (121 sts worked)turn 8

Then 3 sts once,

R9: Vine Pat 50 sts, K3, Turn (124 sts worked)

and 2 sts twice until all 128 sts have been worked.

R10: K & P, P2, Turn (126 sts worked)
R11: Vine Pat 50 sts, K2, Turn. (128 sts worked)

Work 4 rows even in pat as established, end on WS.

Shape Raglan Armholes...

Big difference between starting arn holes on front and back:
BACK FRONT

Ribbing 21 rows 21 rows

Dec Row 1 row 1 row

Short Rows 21 rows 11 rows (per what I wrote above)

Work even 6 rows 4 rows

TOTAL 49 rows 37 rows

That's 12 rows difference before I start the raglan armholes. Seems the front and back will never match up.

I'm working a test piece for the short rows on junk yarn. Hey, I really need the practice anyway as I've onlly been knitting for about 3 weeks here. The bobbles and cable are easy now that they've been explained on the board so it looks really great.

Thank you again for taking the time to look at the pattern and investigate this with me. Ive yet to hear back from Berroco. I think I should put a notice on the other board here to see if anyone else has tried this sweater too. Just in case we can't figure it out. But I hope we can.

Thanks so much,
Lee Lee
LeeLee is offline   Reply With Quote