Old 01-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
suuuueee
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to suuuueee Send a message via MSN to suuuueee
what can i make with 100g/246yd of dk merino wool?
http://knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420147/yarn_display

that's precisely what i have. my first skein of "real" yarn! (in otherwords, not acrylic)

would i be able to knit a nice, comfortable hat? (as in not skin tight. L O O S E) i measured my head the other day to be around 23.25 inches. (i think that's pretty big... haha) i'm still a relatively newbie knitter, so i'm thinking ribbing, then a bajillion rows of stockinette, and then decreases.

or perhaps a pair of nice, plain, ribbed cuff, stockinette mittens? i have short, but wide hands. (7.5" circumference around knuckles and about 6.5" from my wrist to the tip of my middle finger)

i'm already making a scarf (vogue lace leaf but with worsted weight), & don't plan on making another.

so. you think i can pull it off? i think i can do the hat, not so sure about the mittens.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
Angelia

I think you can, yes. It might be a bit close, maybe, but the worst case scenario is the hat might be a little shorter than you like.

I say go for it!!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

I'd definitely say try for the hat. I just made a hat from 100grams bulky (Lopi), and I know thinner yarns go farther, so 100 grams of dk should be enough. Also made a hat crocheted with one ball of Paton's Classic Merino, and crochet takes more than knitting. So yeah, go for it.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

That yarn is just begging to be kool aid dyed!

P.S. There's handy dandy color chart here.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
suuuueee
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to suuuueee Send a message via MSN to suuuueee
okay, i'm definitely going for the hat.

i'm not into the whole look of dyed, variegated yarn. the undyed color is actually my perfect shade of off-white. if anything, i'll dye it one solid color.