Old 01-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Mrs. Columbo

Using Two Different Size Needles
I am again starting the shawl for the expectant daughter ... after tearing out the Patons Astra five times and DH noticing I was getting nowhere on it after working at it for two weeks, I bought some thicker yarn, this time a Patons decor wool/acrylic blend ... and while at Michael's to return the Astra and some other yarn I knew I'd not use, I got some variegated dark colors to make my girlfriend one, and some heather to make one for my mom who is in a seniors home in Newfoundland ....

The Decor calls for 4.5 needles however I struggle with anything below a 5.5 .. I read somewhere, I thought it was on this forum, how you can cast on with a larger size needle, and somewhere it said some knit using two different size needles .. I am a very tight knitter so I cast on with 8 mm circulars and am knitting on my 5.5's because they are metal turbos and wonderful ... I'm not paying much attention to gauge as the project says it will be 19 x 70 but I don't care if its slightly smaller or larger ... is it ok to knit with both 5.5 and 6 mm's?

Toby

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
If you CO too tight then by all means use a larger needle. Since gauge isn't an issue then there isn't a problem using two different size needles. There are no rules so play around and go with what works for you!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote