Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
hilsbells
Casting On

double knitting question
I have been trying to figure out the double knitting tutorial. While I think I have the basics down, I'm having a hard time figuring how how to do a pattern. is there a special way to twist the yarns if i switch between the main color and the second color? is there a way to hold the yarn to make color changes relatively easy?

Any and all suggestions are welcome and very appreciated.
hilsbells is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Re: double knitting question
Originally Posted by hilsbells
I have been trying to figure out the double knitting tutorial. While I think I have the basics down, I'm having a hard time figuring how how to do a pattern. is there a special way to twist the yarns if i switch between the main color and the second color? is there a way to hold the yarn to make color changes relatively easy?

Any and all suggestions are welcome and very appreciated.
Welcome to the forum!

I suggest following along with Amy's video while you have needles and yarn in hand. That way you can pause or rewind as needed. That's how I learned to double knit.

As for your specific questions... no, you don't need to twist the yarn. Amy shows how to hold two strands of yarn at once, but if that is difficult for you, there is another method for double knitting which involves working only one side at a time -- here you would work the yarn A stitches while slipping the yarn B stitches and vice versa. It will take longer, but you'd only need to deal with one working strand at a time. I don't know of a tutorial for that method, but I haven't really looked specifically for one. HTH

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Did you see the video on the Advanced Techniques tab? I think it might help answer some of your questions. I don't get the impression she is twisting the yarn at all in the video.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Oops. One more thing. You were asking about using patterns -- you can easily switch between knit and purl, so simple stitch patterns like ribbing or seed stitch should be easy enough to do, but I'd advise against trying anything more complicated. (That's what my one of my books says, anyway.) It'd probably be simpler to knit in the round (or if using two colors), knit each side separately and seam together.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 01-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
hilsbells
Casting On

double knitting
thanks for the quick responses. such a great forum!

ok, so while i think i could get the moss or ribbing idea, my question was more about intarsia i guess. like she has the red heart in the middle of the video. do you switch the colors across? and i'm used to kind of twisting yarn when i change colors in the middle of a row, but with the front and back stuff, i'm wondering if there's some other step. this part wasn't in the video.

i don't know if that's a more confusing question or not.

i basically designed a houndstooth pattern that i'd love to knit into a scarf for my boyfriend, but scarves with all the yarn carried in the back would look messy and the double knitting seemed like it would be the trick. i would only be using black and white, and since the pattern is interchangable, it should look cool from either side - that is if i can figure this puppy out!

thanks again for your comments...
Old 01-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Re: double knitting
thanks for the quick responses. such a great forum!

ok, so while i think i could get the moss or ribbing idea, my question was more about intarsia i guess. like she has the red heart in the middle of the video. do you switch the colors across? and i'm used to kind of twisting yarn when i change colors in the middle of a row, but with the front and back stuff, i'm wondering if there's some other step. this part wasn't in the video.

i don't know if that's a more confusing question or not.

i basically designed a houndstooth pattern that i'd love to knit into a scarf for my boyfriend, but scarves with all the yarn carried in the back would look messy and the double knitting seemed like it would be the trick. i would only be using black and white, and since the pattern is interchangable, it should look cool from either side - that is if i can figure this puppy out!

thanks again for your comments...
Hm. I've yet to explore intarsia so I can't comment on similarities, but I think for double knitting (unless I do it incorrectly, which is possible), all you need to do to change colors is to use the other strand. E.g., if you have stockinette on both sides, you'll be alternating knitting (front side) and purling (back side). So let's say you've got blue in the front and green in the back, and now want to switch. Just start using the green strand on your knits, and the blue on your purls. Make sense?

Old 01-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
hilsbells
Casting On

Alrighty. I'll truck ahead. I think i was hoping for some trick of how to hold the yarn so you can easily switch back and forth. if i come up with something on my own i'll post it to the list. this is gonna be a mother of a scarf. if i make it through i'll send a photo.

thanks for all your help! i'm sure i'll be back.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Alrighty. I'll truck ahead. I think i was hoping for some trick of how to hold the yarn so you can easily switch back and forth. if i come up with something on my own i'll post it to the list. this is gonna be a mother of a scarf. if i make it through i'll send a photo.

thanks for all your help! i'm sure i'll be back.
Did you watch the whole video? Amy shows more than one way to hold the yarn -- you can either hold both strands in the same hand, or one strand in each (think that part is closer to the end). Good luck with your scarf!