Old 01-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
newtknit
Casting On

circular needles, Help!
How do you prevent circular needles (the nylon part) from staying wound up. I tried putting them under hot water and stretching them but they don't want to stay.
Thank you!
newtknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
five_six
Turning the Heel

i pour boiling water into a bowl, then dip my cables into the boiling water for about 30 seconds - you should see them 'soften up'. Then let one end dangle, so as it cools it cools straight... always works for me.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

Depending on what they're made of, some you have to rinse and repeat. If they're Boye's or Clover's, the cables are a stiffer plastic/resin with more "memory" to recoil back. The cadillac of needles, Addi's have little or no memory and so they don't bind up. Bryspun circs are an economical bet that have nice plyable cables. For interchangeables, Denises and the KP Options are well reviewed on the site. A lot of us store our needles in such a way that we don't recoil them into their packages and instead sort of let them hang to encourage straightening of the cable. It's just a necessary evil one deals with. The more length you get to a project, such as if you are knitting a blanket or whatever, the more weight will pull and smooth out he cable during your project for what that's worth.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
newtknit
Casting On

Thank you both...I will give it a try!
newtknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

I also store mine hanging so they don't have the opportunity to coil up again.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote